Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

OSU players traded signatures for tattoos

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
OSU players traded signatures for tattoos
« on: December 23, 2010, 07:31:28 AM »

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State is investigating allegations that several football players traded autographs for tattoos, according to multiple reports.

WBNS-TV and The Columbus Dispatch, both citing unidentified sources, reported on their websites Wednesday night that the school was looking into the possible NCAA violations just two weeks before the Buckeyes face Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 4.

Quarterback Terrelle Pryor, not mentioned in either report, quickly responded on Twitter.

"I paid for my tattoos. GoBucks" he posted.

The Associated Press left telephone, text and e-mail messages seeking comment from coach Jim Tressel, athletic director Gene Smith, the school's compliance director and other university officials.

Asked by the AP to respond to the allegations, Ohio State associate athletic director Dan Wallenberg said in an e-mail, "No information to share."

Team spokeswoman Shelly Poe said after Tuesday's practice that each player was eligible for the bowl. She said she was unaware of any NCAA investigation.

The Buckeyes have several days off before reporting back to campus on Sunday night. They practice Monday and Tuesday before flying to New Orleans for the BCS bowl game on Dec. 29.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Re: OSU players traded signatures for tattoos
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 08:31:27 AM »
Not a blip on ESPN about it outside of Herbstreit and a quick mention during the bowl game last night.  Not a single tweet from an ESPN writer.  No Thayer Evans.  No Pete Thamel. 

Up to 7-8 players could be suspended for the Sugar Bowl, but...non story.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 10:44:34 AM »
"I paid for my tattoos. GoBucks" he posted.

Nobody's saying that the tattoos weren't paid for, just that they weren't paid for with coin of the realm.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

boartitz

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 11:32:55 AM »
Their fathers set the deal up. The kids didn't know they were getting tattoos.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 11:49:53 AM »
Their fathers set the deal up. The kids didn't know they were getting tattoos.

200k > tattoos

200k = bcs national title game.

tattoos = azúcar bowl.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 12:40:50 PM »
Banned for the first five games during the 2011 Season, but not the bowl game... This includes Pryor, bye bye Heisman.  Main headline on ESPN.com.

Ohio State football players sanctioned

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Five Ohio State football players, including quarterback Terrelle Pryor, must sit out the first five games of the 2011 season for accepting improper benefits, the NCAA ruled Thursday.

A sixth football player must sit out the first game in 2011 for receiving discounted services in violation of NCAA rules.

All of the players be eligible for the Jan. 4 Allstate Sugar Bowl, however.

Five players were found to have sold awards, gifts and university apparel, plus receive improper benefits in 2009. In addition to missing five games next season, Pryor, Mike Adams, Daniel Herron, Devier Posey and Solomon Thomas must repay money and benefits ranging in value from $1,000 to $2,500. The repayments must be made to a charity.

Jordan Whiting must sit out the first game next year and pay $150 to a charity for the value of services that were discounted because of his status as a student-athlete.

The NCAA announced the suspensions Thursday, shortly before Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith and coach Jim Tressel were to meet with reporters to discuss the university's investigation of players trading autographs for tattoos.

Adams must repay $1,000 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring and Herron must repay $1,150 for selling his football jersey, pants and shoes for $1,000 and receiving discounted services worth $150.

Posey must repay $1,250 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring for $1,200 and receiving discounted services worth $50, while Pryor must repay $2,500 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring, a 2009 Fiesta Bowl sportsmanship award and his 2008 Gold Pants, a gift from the university.

Solomon must repay $1,505 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring for $1,000, his 2008 Gold Pants for $350 and receiving discounted services worth $155.

"These are significant penalties based on findings and information provided by the university," Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice president of academic and membership affairs, said in a statement released by the NCAA.

The players are eligible for the bowl game because the NCAA determined they did not receive adequate rules education during the time period the violations occurred, Lennon said.

"We were not as explicit with our student-athlete education as we should have been in the 2007-08 and 2008-09 academic years regarding the sale of apparel, awards and gifts issued by the athletics department," Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said in a statement. "We began to significantly improve our education in November of 2009 to address these issues. After going through this experience, we will further enhance our education for all our student-athletes as we move forward."

Pryor, Herron and Posey are all eligible for the NFL draft in 2011.

Ohio State has been investigating allegations that several football players traded autographs for tattoos. Rumors first surfaced last Saturday. Athletic department officials, including Smith and Ohio State's compliance director had refrained from addressing the allegations.

On Twitter on Wednesday night, Pryor posted, "I paid for my tattoos. GoBucks"

Pryor's high school coach, Ray Reitz, told ESPN's Joe Schad that said Pryor sold items because "he wanted to help his mother."

"It was about family," Reitz said. "Sometimes when you're young you don't realize the ramifications."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5950873
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 12:55:04 PM »
First, will this mean OSU will not be preseason #1? Second, how much longer before some raging fan sends Schad to his dirt nap?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 01:34:04 PM »
I find a couple of things interesting here.

According to national sentiment, judging from the comment sections on various articles online, the SEC is full of thugs, and Slive is a corrupt warden, letting the inmates run wild. AJ Green selling a jersey was the biggest and clearest example of this for selling his jersey.

Jesus, are these guys going to have anything to show for their time spent at Ohio State? Sounds like every trophy, ring, and official gear was taken to Pawn Stars. Sounds much more egregious than selling one jersey.

Of course, to many of these fans outside the SEC (or hell, just outside of Auburn), Cam's dad talking about $180,000 to a different school Cam didn't go to is a bigger deal than these guys actually collecting close to that for any memorabilia they can scrap up.

And what's with this all about?
The players are eligible for the bowl game because the NCAA determined they did not receive adequate rules education during the time period the violations occurred, Lennon said.

"We were not as explicit with our student-athlete education as we should have been in the 2007-08 and 2008-09 academic years regarding the sale of apparel, awards and gifts issued by the athletics department," Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said in a statement. "We began to significantly improve our education in November of 2009 to address these issues. After going through this experience, we will further enhance our education for all our student-athletes as we move forward."
What? They didn't know the rules...how the hell did they not know you can't sell all of your awards, jerseys, etc. after the high profile AJ Green case?...so we're not going to punish them right away...just starting with the next game, after this bowl game. How does that make sense? I'm trying to connect the dots and make the punishment fit the crime, but if they're guilty, why wait until next season to punish them? So that three out of the five players involved can jet for the NFL and not actually be punished at all?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 01:54:45 PM »
I just found it funny that Pryor "cheated" by selling his Sportmanship Award.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 02:03:46 PM »
I just found it funny that Pryor "cheated" by selling his Sportmanship Award.

Holy shit.  I actually missed that.

Funny stuff!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

boartitz

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 09:06:21 PM »
Petrino sent 2 senior starters home before last years Liberty Bowl for missing curfew. Just his rule, not NCAA. Think about it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 09:46:58 PM »
And what's with this all about?What? They didn't know the rules...how the hell did they not know you can't sell all of your awards, jerseys, etc. after the high profile AJ Green case?...so we're not going to punish them right away...just starting with the next game, after this bowl game. How does that make sense? I'm trying to connect the dots and make the punishment fit the crime, but if they're guilty, why wait until next season to punish them? So that three out of the five players involved can jet for the NFL and not actually be punished at all?

It happened in 2009, before the AJ Green case.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 10:51:18 PM »
It happened in 2009, before the AJ Green case.
Well, in that case, OSU has been playing ineligible players since the selling of the items and their signatures.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 10:16:15 AM »
Petrino sent 2 senior starters home before last years Liberty Bowl for missing curfew. Just his rule, not NCAA. Think about it.

I take care of my kids...

I ain't never been to jail...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 09:03:43 PM »
I find it hard to believe that those kids just couldn't fathom that trading their autograph for services or goods would be against NCAA bylaws. That's damn near compliance 101. While I would love to take a jab at the NCAA and draw a comparison to Camgate, we're really talking apples and oranges here. The NCAA has a written rule that they can use their discretion and let kids play in a bowl game if they so choose. Letting them play in the bowl game means that OSU will be without them one more game next year. That's even more chance of them not making the NC game next year. This is just a bowl game and, in the grand scheme of things, really doesn't mean much. Letting them play now will impact their regular season record next year.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 12:27:36 AM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 10:20:09 PM »
But... but... but... I thought Pryor gonna dominate? 

Dominate teh Ebays, I guess. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions