Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

True Grit

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
True Grit
« on: October 12, 2010, 09:49:32 AM »
I really want to like this movie but not sure if I can do it.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Re: True Grit
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 10:03:33 AM »
I made the exact same comment back in June...

http://www.tigersx.com/forum/haley_center_basement/the_duke_is_spinning_his_grave..._9755.msg132723.html#msg132723

Just not sure I can do it... altho the actress playing Mattie is better than Kim whaserface from the original.

And Matt Damon sounds about as Texas Ranger as Gilbert Godfried.

But Jeff Bridges seems a bit too intense to play Cogburn.  John Wayne played him with some humor in the right spots.  Don't see Bridges getting off the hardnosed old lawman role.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 10:06:12 AM »
Had to copy and paste this again...

Ned Pepper: What's your intention? Do you think one on four is a dogfall?
Rooster Cogburn: I mean to kill you in one minute, Ned. Or see you hanged in Fort Smith at Judge Parker's convenience. Which'll it be?
Ned Pepper: I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man.
Rooster Cogburn: Fill your hands, you son of a bitch.

Greatest scene ever... the Duke, reins in his teeth.  Pistol in one hand and rifle in the other.

THAT was a real man.  I don't care if he was an actor - you absolutely 100% can believe to the center of your very soul that John Wayne could have and would have done in real life every damn thing he did on the screen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 02:40:24 PM »
Watched it last night, it was pretty bad ass.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 11:08:55 AM »
Got to see it.  I've heard that it is much more faithful to the original book.  Of course, the original book would have been unmakeable in 1968.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 01:03:48 PM »
Got to see it.  I've heard that it is much more faithful to the original book.  Of course, the original book would have been unmakeable in 1968.

What is a book?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 01:38:44 PM »
What is a book?

It's like a Penthouse, but with more words and less pictures. 

(Words are the little black squiggles around the pictures)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 01:40:51 PM »
Thought those were pecker tracks?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 02:28:07 PM »
Thought those were pecker tracks?

Those are crusty and off white and make the pages stick together.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 01:13:53 AM »
OK, so I saw True Grit today.

I take back every bad thing I said about the casting, every bit of skepticism I had about whether the Cohens would fuck this up with their trademark weird twisty black humor shit, every bit of concern that one of the greatest Westerns ever made would be tarnished forever.

It was beyond awesome.

The cinematography was incredible.  See it in XD if you can.

LOVED the score.  It was seamless - and the rendition of Leaning On The Everlasting Arms that plays throughout is a perfect touch.

Jeff Bridges' dialog is hard to understand sometimes - like he has too much chaw in his mouth - but he nails Cogburn.  He is nothing like The Duke - he makes the role his own - but no one could ever be John Wayne anyway.  Even so, he did a fantastic job. 

I fell a little bit in lust with Matt Damon as LeBouef - he is still about as Texas sounding as Gilbert Godfried, but he otherwise looks and acts the part of a straight laced, hotheaded yet idealistic young Texas Ranger to perfection.  No pretty boy role for him this time - the mutton chops hide his face but his Ranger zeal shines in those beautiful eyes of his.  He sat a horse well too - I was impressed.

The little girl who plays Mattie Ross will win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress.  She MADE this movie, and played the role exactly as it should have been done.  She channeled Kim Darby a little bit in her way of talking but she was so much better - and cuter too. 

There were several scenes in this movie that are straight out of the book, and were not in the original.  Most of them are Mattie's backstory while she tends to her father's affairs in Fort Smith.  They added so much to the movie, it makes me question why they were not in the original.  I can only speculate that because John Wayne was the Star, they did not want screen time without him in it.  But I loved it - you have a new respect for Mattie after her dealings with the horse trader/cotton factor.

The Cohen Brothers definitely put their mark on the movie - the cornbread shooting contest is one - and they stayed true to the bits of humor that are in the story and in the original movie.  But their main contribution was in the camera work.  It is obvious to any Cohen Brothers fan that they did this movie.

BEST OF ALL - the Cohens kept completely intact my favorite scene - the scene that won The Duke the Oscar - right down to the dialogue...

Ned Pepper: What's your intention? Do you think one on four is a dogfall?
Rooster Cogburn: I mean to kill you in one minute, Ned. Or see you hanged in Fort Smith at Judge Parker's convenience. Which'll it be?
Ned Pepper: I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man.
Rooster Cogburn: Fill your hands, you son of a bitch.

The only difference I could tell right off between that scene in the original and in the remake is that The Duke uses a Winchester in one hand and a Colt in the other, whereas Jeff Bridges has two Colts.  That kind of made the scene for me in the original, with John Wayne recocking the long gun by spinning it around in one hand while blowing a hole through an outlaw with his Colt with his other hand.  But I am not complaining - that was John Wayne's signature moment and that is how I remember him. 

Just a damn good movie. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 01:39:11 AM by Tiger Wench »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions