Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Rainbow 6

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Rainbow 6
« on: October 31, 2011, 01:05:25 PM »
The ever vigilant Fusible has found what may be the name for the next entry in the Rainbow Six series. Rainbow6Patriots.com and RainbowsixPatriots.com were both registered by Ubisoft two days ago.

Following the Fusible report, a NeoGAF member wrote to say that the game will be announced by that name next month in Xbox World Magazine. Says he:

Last night I got home with the assets; logos, arts, the covers and rendered game screens from a buddy that I know in marketing. I will not going to show anything for the moment as I will let the mag do his work, but what I can tell is that the logo is 6 with the pistol that replace the bottom circle. The arts backgrounds are with the New York in fire and the renders characters are very similiar to Homefront, yet the sex toys are still based with police rainbow six gears. What I understood the plot will go between a large group of revolutionary terrorists and of course the police.

Just before E3, sources familiar with the game told that the game would try to tell a bigger, grittier cinematic story than past editions of the game. In a plot outline that is damn timely right now, players will battle a home-grown terrorist group targeting Wall Street, angered by financiers' greed and a government that protects it. The game will feature a cover system that takes you out of a first-person perspective and into a third-person view.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Token

Re: Rainbow 6
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 01:09:01 PM »
Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 is my favorite shooter game.  Don't get me wrong, the COD games are nice, but they seem to focus more online than story.  I'm still an old timer who would rather beat a challenging story plot than kick the shit out of a bunch of 10 year olds online.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 01:11:55 PM by Token »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 01:19:17 PM »
Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 is my favorite shooter game.  Don't get me wrong, the COD games are nice, but they seem to focus more online than story.  I'm still an old timer who would rather beat a challenging story plot than kick the shit out of a bunch of 10 year olds online.

Agreed. These were taken a few months ago.

While Ubisoft's still-secret, yet-to-be named Rainbow Six game skipped an E3 appearance this year, it is still very much in the works we're told.

Here is our first look at early, rough images leaked to us from the game, a game that promises to mix the former glory of the hard-as-nails tactical shooter with a brand new gameplay twist: Morality.

Rainbow Six will be a far more story-driven game that previous iterations of the Tom Clancy branded title with gamers tasked with stopping a homegrown terrorist group operating in America. The group, fed up with the greed of Wall Street and the government that acts to protect them, decided to target New York City.

At the heart of the game is a branching morality system that changes the outcome of key moments in the game based on the in-the-moment decisions the player makes. Early development currently has the outcome of these decisions shape the path you take toward the game's ending, with many of the levels having multiple endings. These decisions, we're told, can drastically change the story. In practice, that means that it will be impossible to play every level in the game on a single play-through. Instead, gamers will be rewarded with new experiences based on the changing decisions they make in subsequent plays of the game.

In action the decisions a player is forced to make seem like they can be emotional, powerful moments in the game. In one example seen first hand by Kotaku, for instance, the terrorists break into a home and kidnap a stranger. You take on the roll of that stranger, forced to hold a trigger button to prevent a vest loaded with explosives from blowing up. Later, on a heavily-populated bridge in New York City, the perspective shifts, having you control the Rainbow 6 team there to take down the terrorists and take out the hapless, walking bomb.

The in-game graphics highlight where other members of the team are as you work your way to the innocent wearing the suicide vest. Icons allow you to target particular body parts on enemies, allowing you to decide whether to kill or incapacitate. Those icons show you the blast radius surrounding the man holding the detonator, once you approach him. They also show you how many people are in the vehicles nearby, like a bus that is packed with nearly 100 people. The decision you're forced to make in this scenario is to sacrifice the man with the explosives, or risk the lives of hundreds. One option has you tossing the man from the bridge, experiencing some of his memories as he plummets, and then watching him explode.

As heart-rending as that moment was, it sounds as if Ubisoft is still weighing the cost and benefits of implementing this new, interesting morality system in the game. One option has the game not including it at all.

If it remains, the notion of shaping a game by morally-driven decisions is a powerful new element rarely seen in a shooter. This new idea has the power to not just move Rainbow 6 beyond the realm of today's shooters, but perhaps many of today's games.

I love my shooters. But the video I saw of this game and the way it seems to be adding to the mix the very real human cost of gunplay, of decisions that impact not just a country's safety, but a person's, is vastly intriguing to me.
[/i]

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 01:57:16 PM »
I liked the Ubisoft/Clancey stuff years ago, the minute they came out with the first Ghost Recon for Xbox. Good shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 02:03:08 PM »
I liked the Ubisoft/Clancey stuff years ago, the minute they came out with the first Ghost Recon for Xbox. Good shit.

That's the other title that is supposed to be good shit.  Ghost Recon is supposed to be out in the Spring I believe.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 03:04:22 PM »
Rainbow Six will be a far more story-driven game that previous iterations of the Tom Clancy branded title with gamers tasked with stopping a homegrown terrorist group operating in America. The group, fed up with the greed of Wall Street and the government that acts to protect them, decided to target New York City.

So, wait...you're telling me that the game is going to be centered around crowd control for the Occupy Wall Street movement?

Shooting at a crowd of smelly, unemployed hippies who aren't even violent?

This sounds like the most boring game ever...

No, but seriously, the graphics look great.  I never got into the Clancey games though.  Played the original Rainbow 6 on PC once or twice.  It was alright, but I didn't like the combination of a shooter with strategy, at least not in the way they did it.  So I never moved on to any of the other sequels.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 03:09:14 PM »
Actually I thought the Rainbow Six stuff was done really well and paved the way for you play against NPC in first person shooters.

The Ghost Recon titles you pretty well had to be playing coop or you would never get through them. 

And the Splinter Cell ones were more solely tactical based.  Although Splinter Cell Conviction was the most playable one of that line to me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 03:12:14 PM »
The Splinter Cell games were my favorite of the Clancey "series."  But even then, it just didn't really click with me.

I used to love a PC game called Thief, which had a lot of elements of stealth, so I figured I would like Splinter Cell as well, but not so much.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 03:13:37 PM »
The Splinter Cell games were my favorite of the Clancey "series."  But even then, it just didn't really click with me.

I used to love a PC game called Thief, which had a lot of elements of stealth, so I figured I would like Splinter Cell as well, but not so much.

You ought to give Splinter Cell Conviction a go.  You can get it pretty cheap now.  I thought it was a really good combination of third person shooter and being stealthy.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 03:15:01 PM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 07:44:18 AM »
I used to love a PC game called Thief

Great fucking game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 10:04:17 AM »
Great fucking game.

I only played the first one.  Apparently they've had a second and third one that were both released years ago, but those was around the same time that I moved away from PC gaming and onto consoles.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 09:18:24 PM »
I only played the first one.  Apparently they've had a second and third one that were both released years ago, but those was around the same time that I moved away from PC gaming and onto consoles.

Those was...I'm such a fucking Shakespeare...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions