Gus to State, that's a step down.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: My prediction for CGM
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 03:57:01 PM »
Gus to State, that's a step down.
Not as a HC. I could see him doing this. I had the same thoughts. This is pretty much the only way I see him leaving.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 04:01:33 PM »
Not as a HC. I could see him doing this. I had the same thoughts. This is pretty much the only way I see him leaving.
I don't agree.  I think that MSU is not that great of a football school, and might end up being Malzahn's Iowa State if he is not careful.  Gus to Miami is a different story.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 04:04:39 PM »
I don't agree.  I think that MSU is not that great of a football school, and might end up being Malzahn's Iowa State if he is not careful.  Gus to Miami is a different story.

I don't think Miami will be looking for another first time HC.  They need somebody with experience to rebuild their program.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 04:06:45 PM »

I think there is a very good chance that Tubbs will be the Miami coach. It seemed that after Gruden, Mullen was there next choice. Now that the Florida job is open, I think its a foregone conclusion that Mullen will be headed to the Gators. I don't think Malzahn would got the MSU either. He has been around long enough to know that State is that a place that you necessarilly want to coach. Also, Malzahn knows that he can get a better HC job, even if it will be his first HC job.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 04:11:33 PM »
Gus is at $500K. The highest paid assistant in college football is $1.5 mil.  Auburn raises him over $1 mil and keeps him.

Interesting bit of gossip I heard on our local sports talk this morning.  The host said at a game last year (First year) he was sitting with a relative of Malzahn who told him Todd was not the first choice as starter.  If not for the injury bug, Trotter was pegged as the starter.  I just found that interesting and may point to the fact that if Cam leaves, we may be in pretty good hands regardless.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 04:19:46 PM »
Gus is at $500K. The highest paid assistant in college football is $1.5 mil.  Auburn raises him over $1 mil and keeps him.

Interesting bit of gossip I heard on our local sports talk this morning.  The host said at a game last year (First year) he was sitting with a relative of Malzahn who told him Todd was not the first choice as starter.  If not for the injury bug, Trotter was pegged as the starter.  I just found that interesting and may point to the fact that if Cam leaves, we may be in pretty good hands regardless.

Barrett looked pretty good in wipe up duty against USC. I will say this though...it was completely different then watching Cam run. When Trotter took off, you could definitely tell how fast Cam was. I was used to our QB running away from folks and it looked like Trotter was running in slow motion...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 04:25:30 PM »
Little excerpt from Zemek at College Football News.  In talking about the shakeout he says Mullen is best choice to go to the Gators, but doesn't mention GM to State.  Maybe some think that Gus should hold out for something better.

1) This should represent the death-knell for offensive coordinator Steve Addazio. That’s why this move – while perhaps weakening Florida on the recruiting trail this cycle – will be a net-plus in the long run for the Gators. Period.

2) The first call should go to Dan Mullen, unless there’s something surrounding Mississippi State’s connection with Cameron Newton. Yes, it looks increasingly clear that Mullen’s hands are clean in that matter, but Florida Athletic Director Jeremy Foley needs to do his due diligence and make sure that Mullen won’t bring any baggage to The Swamp. If the vetting process goes smoothly, Mullen should be Florida’s first choice. Bob Stoops is a high-quality coach, but he’s become so ensconced at Oklahoma that a return to the SEC more than a decade after leaving his post as Florida’s defensive coordinator raises the prospect of a less-than-fully-successful return. Stoops has never been the head man at Florida, but the notion of a return to Gainesville seems as stale and outdated as the notion of a Steve Spurrier return to Alachua County. Mullen’s the man Foley should pursue; the body of work Mullen produced with both Chris Leak and Tebow – presented in sharp contrast to what Addazio did with John Brantley this past season – should leave no questions about the matter. An elite defensive coordinator would sprint to Gainesville in a heartbeat, and Florida – while perhaps at a disadvantage for 2011 – would be ready to rock and roll in 2012.

3) What about Mississippi State if Mullen leaves? Two words: Al Golden, but Golden probably wouldn’t want the job. Two more words, then: Kevin Sumlin.

4) Because Mullen is at the forefront of Florida’s list – maybe not numero uno, but certainly near the top – Michigan’s chances of winning the Gator Bowl increase. Accordingly, Rich Rodriguez’s chances of staying in Ann Arbor increase. Accordingly, Jim Harbaugh’s chances of staying at Stanford one more year increase.

And you thought this Urban Meyer story was relevant only to Florida.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 06:55:50 PM »
Mullen will be getting out while the getting is good.  I'll say again, MSU is in a lot of trouble with the NCAA, any coach going there had better be ready to be on probation for a few years...think former coach, Jackie Sherrell, boosters.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 10:24:41 PM »
I still wonder if programs will stay away from Malzahn because he's only a few years out of high school ball. 

I can't imagine boosters...no matter how hot a coordinator he is...being happy about giving money to a program with a complete unknown as a head coach.

I worry more about him going somewhere else as the offensive coordinator.  If they offer him more money and it's an easier recruiting gig, why not take it?  It'd be good on the resume to work for multiple championship caliber teams..cough Gene Chizik cough cough.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 10:32:01 PM »

I am hoping that is what happens, which is why I prefaced my prediction if we could not keep him. However, if he keeps up the good work, no amount of money as an assistant can keep him form a HC job. Even saying that, some guys would say an opportunity to be a HC at an SEC school as their first HC coaching job is hard to pass up regardless of who it is (except for maybe Vandy).

Also let me add that considering the little weasel that Meyer is, it would not surprise me to see him show up with the Broncos to reunite with his long lost son.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 10:33:28 PM by Ranger12 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions