• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Bronko Nagursk Award Ceremony Tonight
« on: December 06, 2010, 10:58:53 AM »
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/12/fairley_up_for_top_defensive_l.html

Fairley up for top defensive player award
Published: Monday, December 06, 2010, 5:07 AM
  Tommy Hicks

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Mobile's Nick Fairley has played a big role in helping Auburn to an SEC championship and a spot in the BCS national championship game against Oregon.

Tonight, the defensive lineman will stand on his own merits as a finalist for the Football Writers Association of America's 2010 Bronko Nagurski Award, given annually since 1993 to the top defensive player in college football.

Nick Fairley is a finalist for the Bronko Nagurski Award, which will be awarded to the top defensive player in college football tonight. (Hal Yeager / The Birmingham News)

The former Williamson standout and transfer to Auburn from Copiah-Lincoln (Miss.) Community College will attend tonight's banquet at the Westin Hotel here along with the four other finalists -- LSU defensive back Patrick Peterson, Georgia linebacker Justin Houston, Boston College linebacker Luke Kuechly and Clemson defensive lineman Da'Quan Bowers.

The award is presented by the Charlotte Touchdown Club.

"It means a lot," said the 6-foot-5, 290-pound junior. "Just being nominated for the award and all the people who have won it before, if I'm able to win it to be mentioned with those guys would mean a lot. Coming into the season I wanted to be up for a couple of awards and to be up for this one, it's pretty big. It would be a highlight to my season. I'm very thankful for it. ... To get nominated with some of the top guys in the nation this year, it means a lot to be in that category."

Fairley has been a force all season. He ranks No. 8 in the country in tackles for a loss and is No. 16 nationally in sacks.

Peterson is the only defensive back in the group of finalists. He has seven career interceptions and 129 career tackles, with four of those interceptions coming this season. Houston is No. 10 in the country in tackles for a loss this season, with Kuechly ranked No. 1 in the country in total tackles (171). Bowers is No. 2 in the nation in tackles for a loss and No. 1 in sacks.

College football analyst and former Notre Dame quarterback Steve Beuerlein will serve as master of ceremonies for tonight's banquet, with Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney scheduled to be the keynote speaker. Former Notre Dame standout Mike McCoy will receive the group's Legends Award.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: Bronko Nagursk Award Ceremony Tonight
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 01:12:12 PM »
Bowers will take it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 01:29:35 PM »
Bowers will take it.

I'm picking up a scent of sarcasm.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 12:46:18 AM »
I'm picking up a scent of sarcasm.

If he was being sarcastic, he was wrong.

Da'Quan Bowers wins Nagurski Trophy

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Amid his year of tragedy, Clemson defensive end Da'Quan Bowers slimmed down, got serious about football and had a breakout season.

Bowers was honored for his dominance Monday night with the Bronko Nagurski Trophy as the nation's top defensive player, an award he wishes he could share with his father and his mentor.

And Prowler?  Please resist the whole "Skreets, bitches" bullshit.  This one was pretty easy to see.  Fairley will win Lombardi and possibly Bednarik.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 01:07:23 AM »
If he was being sarcastic, he was wrong.

And Prowler?  Please resist the whole "Skreets, bitches" bullshit.  This one was pretty easy to see.  Fairley will win Lombardi and possibly Bednarik.
No sarcasm...and no skreets needed for that one.  Da'Quan has been the shoe in since about five weeks ago.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a clean sweep by Da'Quan.  But, that would be sweet to see "Big Nasty" take home the Lombardi.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 10:11:05 AM »
No sarcasm...and no skreets needed for that one.  Da'Quan has been the shoe in since about five weeks ago.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a clean sweep by Da'Quan.  But, that would be sweet to see "Big Nasty" take home the Lombardi.

I still think Nick is a beast and the best D Lineman in CFB this year, but I don't have a problem with Bowers winning some awards.  That argument could be made.  It's not like Bowers is a slouch.  <insert caddyshack parody here> 

Now saying that, it sucks that Nick didn't win. He is deserving.  I figure since he has the "dirty player" perception that it cost him a few votes for some of the awards that he is up for.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 10:17:58 AM »
Clemson's Bowers wins Nagurski over Auburn's Fairley
Published: Tuesday, December 07, 2010, 5:45 AM
Tommy Hicks tommy hicks
charlotte, n.c. -- clemson defensive end da'quan bowers, a 6-foot-4, 275-pound junior, was named the winner monday night of the 2010 bronko nagurski award presented annually to the nation's top defensive college football player by the football writers association of america and the charlotte touchdown club.

the award was presented at the annual banquet at the westin hotel.

auburn's nick fairley of mobile was one of five finalists, along with lsu's patrick peterson, georgia's justin houston and boston college's luke kuechlu and bowers. all five attended monday night's banquet.

fairley, the former williamson standout, said he was happy just to be a finalist and to be part of the banquet.

"it's been a great experience for me coming out here to charlotte," he said afterward. "just this one day, meeting these four guys, i know i've made friends for life. i want to congratulate da'quan on being the award winner. he's deserving. he had a great season. i wish him the best of luck."

bowers' head coach, dabo swinney, was the keynote speaker for the banquet and former notre dame and nfl quarterback steve beuerlein served was the master of ceremonies.

bowers thanked his coaches, teammates and family, including his late father who died earlier this year, for their support and guidance in helping push him to be a better athlete and person. clemson's leading tackler, bowers is the national leader in sacks this season and ranks no. 2 nationally in tackles for a loss.

fairley, a transfer from copiah-lincoln community college in wesson, miss., has enjoyed a standout year in his first season with auburn. the 6-foot-5, 298-pound junior has 55 total tackles, including 31 solo stops. he has also collected 21 tackles for a loss including 10.5 sacks. he also has 21 quarterback hurries, an interception, two fumbles recovered and one forced fumble.

he was especially effective in big games, claiming 2.5 sacks against lsu, two sacks against alabama and a sack against south carolina in last weekend's sec championship. he ranks eighth in the country in tackles for a loss and no. 16 nationally in sacks.

while he didn't come away with the nagurski award this season, fairley said he hopes the experience will serve as a springboard for next year. however, fairley is projected to be a top 10 pick in the nfl draft if he skips his senior season at auburn.

"This is something that will definitely push me so I can come back and try to win it again next year," he said. "It's something that will definitely push me to try harder next year."

Former Notre Dame and NFL standout Mike McCoy was named the winner of the Legends Award, presented to former outstanding defensive players.

Peterson has collected seven interceptions and 129 tackles in his LSU career. The sophomore has four interceptions this season. Boston College's Kuechly leads the country in tackles with 171. He is a sophomore linebacker. Georgia junior linebacker Houston is No. 10 in the country in tackles for a loss.

It moved.  If only for a moment.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 10:19:09 AM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 10:20:12 AM »
I was all giddy for a moment, then reality sank in.  I think I will go sob in the corner now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 10:25:55 AM »
It moved.  If only for a moment.

I thought we got confirmation from the elder Fairleys that Nick is gone fo sho.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 10:35:28 AM »
Best response to this was from the WarBlogler. 

"Biggest loser in Nagurski outcome: Oregon."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 10:41:55 AM »
I thought we got confirmation from the elder Fairleys that Nick is gone fo sho.
That's what his parents insisted.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 10:43:15 AM »
That's what his parents insisted.

Come on,baby,  Mama needs a new pair of shoes!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 10:44:18 AM »
HEY NFLPA?  Those greedy owners are just trying to give you guys the shaft!  I say you walk right out the door and make that lockout a reality!!  Show them who's boss!

Please.  :(
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 10:48:40 AM »
HEY NFLPA?  Those greedy owners are just trying to give you guys the shaft!  I say you walk right out the door and make that lockout a reality!!  Show them who's boss!

Please.  :(

My wife asked me last night if I thought there was a chance that Nick and Cam would come back, I told her yeah, if there is a lockout, she was disappointed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 10:53:04 AM »

This right here. Just more motivation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 12:49:19 PM »

That's solid gold.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."