Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Tacklin'...We Talkin Bout Tacklin'?

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Tacklin'...We Talkin Bout Tacklin'?
« on: April 24, 2013, 10:43:01 AM »
Not a game....not a game....we talkin' bout tacklin'....

This simple piece that was pasted after copifying from al.kum, is probably the greatest thing I've read all Spring.  The last half of it tells me FINALLY, the Rock has come back....wait...I mean finally, someone recognizes that we sucked at teh tackles and have not been strong or physical.  God love ya' Gene, but it looks like there's a theme developing here when new corches take over your program.  Jizz-worthy stuff to follow.

-- While many focused on Auburn's hurry-up, no-huddle offense at its A-Day game Saturday, many may have missed an interesting development with the defense.

Too often Auburn was unable to wrap up on tackles, allowing receivers and running backs to break free for long gains in 2012. At the time, then-defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder said it was a size issue -- the Tigers simply were not big enough or strong enough to compete.

With many of those same players back on the team, and under new leadership, the No. 1 concern involved the players' ability to tackle opponents in the open field.

Coach Gus Malzahn, always succinct with his observations, provided Tuesday the best possible review of the A-Day scrimmage an Auburn fan would want to hear after the 2012 tackling debacle.

"Our tackling, overall, in space was pretty good," he said.

Simple words that hold a lot of meaning for the Tigers.

"We definitely put a focus on it," defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson said. "We knew it had to improve."

The Tigers spent more time in tackling drills, and forcing the issue in marathon scrimmages that were not only long but uptempo.

"That’s the way you get better at anything you do, is actually do it," Malzahn said. "So it’s been really good to see who can tackle, who needs to improve and who’s gotten better.”

Open-field tackling has been a focus in Auburn's practices because of the Tigers' uptempo offense, which challenges defenses to make plays in isolation. The 4-2-5 scheme under Johnson has been installed to combat that -- and challenge Malzahn's offense. Iron sharpens iron, in a sense.

"Overall, a lot of the tackling last year was by some young players, and they probably were not as physically strong as they’re going to be as they progress through their career," Johnson said. "I think the other thing was probably some confidence, fatigue. There were a lot of games where they were playing from behind, had to play a lot of defensive snaps."

Eighteen of the 22 players in Auburn's two-deep on defense last season were juniors or younger, including eight freshmen and sophomores.

"Fundamentally, things were not being done well. It didn’t look like it was always as physical as it could be," Johnson said. "It was sort of like going through the motions, more like a form tackle instead of a physical tackle. There were some things of that nature we felt like we had to address."

Position coaches made sure to work with players for "five minutes or more" strictly on tackling fundamentals during each practice this spring, Johnson said.

"Then, of course, we took advantage of all the times the spring ball rules will allow us to have full-speed tackling," he said.

Improvement has been made, but there are still issues. The linebackers made good open-field tackles this spring, but "tackling in the box -- the physicality part of it -- I want to see get better," Johnson said.

Auburn concludes spring practices Wednesday morning with a light practice in shorts.

"From the first couple practices, I would say we’ve improved quite a bit," Malzahn said

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Tacklin'...We Talkin Bout Tacklin'?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 10:47:16 AM »
Gus Bus...toot toot
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 10:54:40 AM »
Gus Bus...toot toot

I'll mommy part punt a Gus Bus.

When I read an article like this, it makes me think if we hang in with this staff through the rough times, and there will be plenty of rough times in the beginning, I believe we'll get back to being competitive nationally, much sooner than later.  From what I've seen, it looks like Malzahn is well aware that he'd better get our defense back to playing tough, hard nosed D or the HUNH won't mean jack squat.  Trying to outscore teams 45-42 every game won't cut it in this league. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 11:14:16 AM »

"Fundamentally, things were not being done well.

Seems to be a Gene coaching signature.  :facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

JR4AU

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 07:56:15 AM »

When I read an article like this, it makes me think if we hang in with this staff through the rough times, and there will be plenty of rough times in the beginning, I believe we'll get back to being competitive nationally, much sooner than later.

It is going to be tough next season.  This staff will take a lot of hits and be under a lot of pressure by the end of this next football season.   I hope the majority share your sentiments.  Given a couple of years, Auburn will be back to being competitive for the SEC, but it won't be this year, and this year will be UGGGGG-LEEEEEE. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
It is going to be tough next season.  This staff will take a lot of hits and be under a lot of pressure by the end of this next football season.   I hope the majority share your sentiments.  Given a couple of years, Auburn will be back to being competitive for the SEC, but it won't be this year, and this year will be UGGGGG-LEEEEEE.

I think even if we finish with the same record as last year (which I am expecting some level of improvement) people will still be happier than last year.  Why?  The offense will be better.  For some reason when you are losing because you just absolutely cannot move the ball it just makes you look worse than you really are.  In contrast teams that lose but are at least putting some points on the board and moving the ball up and down the field just look more entertaining and palatable.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 10:54:55 AM »
Like most people, I'm holding out hope that either JJ or Marshall will come in and it's obvious right off the bat that they're better than either Kalil or Wallace.  But honestly, that's a very small hope. I tend to think Johnson will be the man sooner than later but taking over in 4 weeks is pretty rare in this league. 

Assuming though that we're going to have to go with what we gots...I can only hope that they improve their accuracy over the summer and in Fall camp.  Plus, I believe they'll be a little more effective than what we saw in the Spring simply because they're both decent runners and that option is a big part of Malzahn's offense.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 12:27:38 PM »
I predict 13 or less wins this season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 12:31:17 PM »
I predict 13 or less wins this season.
You know, you are being funny but I seriously believe that one or the other of these could actually happen this season. No joke.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 01:14:52 PM »
I watched the Spring Game again last night.  While I don't think Wallace is an SEC caliber QB, I think he is somewhat serviceable.  He made some good throws, he just has to make better decisions.

Assuming he would be the starter (not knowing what happens with JJ or Marshall) he will need to have success for us at the beginning of the game, and defense will need to step-up for us to pull out wins.  He seemed to progress better as A day went along and that is good.  However, If we get behind in games, I see big problems occurring.

Kalili Frayzher holy crap, even the throws they scored on were bad.  The receivers made great adjustments to make plays.  He had the one play to CAP who he lead to much and CAP made a great play and caught it one handed.  It was a 9 yard pass that he turned into a 45 yard run.  Then the pass to Trovon to score was low and damn near his feet, Trovon actually made a good adjustment to be able to score.  His accuracy on even the easy throws is just a fuckin train wreck.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 01:21:05 PM »
Kalili Frayzher holy crap, even the throws they scored on were bad.  The receivers made great adjustments to make plays.  He had the one play to CAP who he lead to much and CAP made a great play and caught it one handed.  It was a 9 yard pass that he turned into a 45 yard run.  Then the pass to Trovon to score was low and damn near his feet, Trovon actually made a good adjustment to be able to score.  His accuracy on even the easy throws is just a fuckin train wreck.

This^^

I really only thought Wallace made one bad throw...but it was absolutely terrible.  IF the OL can block well enough to let Mason and CAP get the ground game going, Wallace would be just fine imnsho.  Cale Frahseer; on the other hand, needs to learn how to serve up the high quality H20 or hold up one of the cards on the sideline.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 01:50:33 PM »

Seems to be a Gene coaching signature.  :facepalm:

Did you get the memo? We fired him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 01:59:19 PM »

WHAT?!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 02:00:25 PM »

Not now, Lumbergh.  I got a meeting with the Bobs in a few.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 02:20:51 PM »
Not now, Lumbergh.  I got a meeting with the Bobs in a few.

I wasn't aware of a meeting with them.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 03:15:32 PM »

I wasn't aware of a meeting with them.

Yea, they called me at home.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 03:57:11 PM »
Yea, they called me at home.

Mmmmmm...yeaaah.  Good talk.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions