Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts - Week 13

Thoughts - Week 13
« on: November 28, 2010, 01:56:47 PM »
The Little Big Men. 

This is the year where the bluebloods of college football don't go home to Christmas with a smile on their face.  This is the year where the national media, no matter how many temper tantrums they've thrown, will be forced to write positive articles about the "little brothers" that "don't deserve the college football spotlight."

They thought this was the year of destiny for smaller programs.  Boise State seemed to be leading the charge, but it turns out, they truly don't matter.  And they don't at all. 

While these are not "smaller programs" by any real, tangible measurement, the national media considers them smaller than their more traditional counterparts. 

The Year of the Little Big Men:
- Texas A&M over Texas:  Having a respectable season wasn't enough for the Aggies.  They finished tied for the Big 12 South title and beat Texas on Thanksgiving night when it was possible for most of the world to watch.

- Wisconsin will go to the Rose Bowl:  Why is this significant?  Well, it's not like Ohio State had a down year.  They have the same record.  It's just that Wisconsin has impressed the voters enough to put them ahead of the silver headed nuts of the Big 10.  And don't tell me "Wisconsin won the head to head.  That's why!"  Those kind of facts hasn't stopped voters in the past.

- TCU will go to the Rose Bowl:  Want a mid major busting the BCS?  Well, it's been done before.  And the blueblood men behind the pencils and ballots have always helped the mid majors play in absolutely meaningless BCS games.  But not this year.  This year, it seems like the cards have fallen for TCU to play in the "Grandaddy of Them All."  Which is especially relevant because most "Grandaddies" are going to be looking for the traditional Pac 10 vs. Big 10 matchup.  (Which would usually be Ohio State or Michigan vs. USC)

- Oregon/Auburn are on a one track street to the BCSCG.  If both win next week, they're in.  What's important is that both of these teams have suffered from "blueblood screwover" in the past.  2001, Oregon should have gone.  Instead, Nebraska remained ranked high enough to get in.  2004, Auburn was undefeated and while it may have been difficult to justify removing USC or Oklahoma from the top 2, Auburn was undefeated in the toughest conference in the land and should have played.

- Auburn over Alabama:  Alabama's #1 motto when Auburn wins the Iron Bowl: "You can only beat us when we're down."  Well, Alabama was UP 24-0, and they lost.  Alabama was preseason #1 and only lost 2 rather close games.  Alabama has all the talent in the world.  No excuses this time. 

- Notre Dame over USC:  It's hard to believe USC won 11 straight, but that streak has ended.  While Notre Dame is by all means considered "blue blood," they've struggled their way to the pit of mediocrity.  This win - at USC - is a huge step for their program to get back to the annoying "blueblood" status.

- Florida State over Florida: Florida gets no excuses.  They had all the tools in place this year to keep winning and keep dominating.  Florida State has a new coach.  Florida, the state, has a new Captain for the next 365 days.

- The Academies: All three are bowl eligible.  Hasn't happened in 15 years, and I don't think all three have ever gone to bowl games in the same year. 

There are some bluebloods still hanging around, and I'm not trying to say the programs I mentioned are inferior in any way.  This has to do with reputation and subjectivity plaguing college football. 

Tim Brando has been riding a very tall horse in his defense of Boise State.  He's had a lot of good points, but he was supporting the wrong program.  Boise State (all apologies) is truly a nobody until they become part of a real conference or go independent. 

Brando should have been supporting the Oregon's, Auburn's, Stanford's, and Wisconsin's. 

Because we all know, if the results had been slightly different and Oklahoma and Ohio State had been undefeated, Oregon and Auburn would be SCREAMING about the BCS system right now.  And no one with any power to change the polls would care.

Auburn...

- The most resilient team in the history of college football. 

- This win wasn't just a great comeback.  What the world doesn't understand is that this game is so packed with intense emotions that giving up one big play can feel like the end of the world.  One 20 yard run, and tears start to swell in your eyes.  One missed tackle, one bad turnover, one muffed punt - those kind of mistakes make you kick windows out of your house.

- To go down 21-0 while having -2 yards of offense...my God I can't even think about it.  It was one of the worst feelings I've ever felt.  It felt worse than the night my mother told me my grandfather had passed away.  Honestly. 

- But this team was able to overcome those emotions.  This team was able to put together a new gameplan and introduce new wrinkles against one of the most talented teams with one of the best head coaches in the land. 

- I have never been more proud to say I'm an Auburn fan.  This is a golden era in Auburn's history even if it only lasts for a season.

- Now for the bad...

- We have to stop putting together horrible gameplans during the week. 

- Ted Roof, while praised for his in game adjustments, has had some of the worst pregame strategies of all time.  Alabama has started with a spread formation almost every game of the year.  You know they want to set up the run with the pass.  Why did they have wide open receivers all 1st half? 

- I just can't accept that it's talent anymore.  This is the same defense we had last year.  In fact, I think overall may be a little worse.  Our saving grace is having Warren Sapp Nick Fairley disrupting the line of scrimmage. 

Alabama...

- That was one of those games that makes you really question the heart and desire of your coaching staff. 

- How do you allow a team to come back when you have two running backs that are almost unstoppable once they get into rhythm?  You're at home.  You have an incredible defense.  You have a clutch possession receiver.  You just can't lose when you have that kind of a lead. 

- This will be an interesting offseason for Alabama.  The bowl game is going to be meaningless unless a blueblood just so happens to fall into your lap.  You know Nick Saban's name will at least come up in the coaching search circus.  You know a few recruits will question their commitment to Alabama if Arkansas and Auburn both win BCS games. 

Ohio State...

- I asked this question at the start of the season:  Is it any fun being an Ohio State fan?

- Your #1 rival...what you claim to be the biggest rivalry in the nation...is terrible.  You've blown them out quite a few times recently, and you have a 7?  8? game winning streak? 

- You play a bunch of scrubs and you schedule one good OOC opponent each year.  That's commendable, but your schedule is much like USC's a few years ago.  USC countered the weak Pac 10 by schedule two or three BCS eligible OOC opponents. 

- You try to spice things up by wearing throwback uniforms, but honestly, you just looked like Mega Man out there. 

- Your coach hasn't had any controversies.  No trash talk.  Nothing to add excitement to the program. 

-  It's just old fashioned/get it done football.  It gets you 10 or 11 wins each year.  But do you really care? 

LSU...

- You can't get lucky every game.  You have to actually have a solid football team to win every game. 

- Gary Crowton must go.  Besides having a weak quarterback, LSU has 21 guys that are capable of winning a national championship.  That is one extremely talented football team. 

****I must have hit a wrong button when I first tried to post this.  We were really late for church.  Luckily, this is what was still saved from my original post this morning. 

Just a quick additions of what I went into before it somehow disappeared:

- Florida State is back.  They'll be a fly in the ointment since the ACC is so weak, and they will have a good shot at going undefeated if they can find a QB to replace Ponder some time in the next 2 years.

- Florida and Texas suck. 

- Hey USC!  The NCAA did actually hammer your ass into mediocrity.

- South Carolina looks really good right now. 

- The SEC championship game is next week, and it's even more important than the Iron Bowl. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 01:59:03 PM by Townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

JR4AU

Re: Thoughts - Week 13
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 02:36:57 PM »
Only care to comment on Auburn....

Completely agree on how resilient this team is, and how watching the Iron Bowl felt.  The entire watching experience was very very painful, until late in the game. 

On the defense, and game plans.  I don't know what their game plans are.  Nobody does except the coaches and team.  I doubt, that on paper, the plans are flawed from either a philosophical, schematic or technical standpoint.   The execution of the plans however, is another thing.  Here's what I do know:  The 2008 Auburn Tigers were as dysfunctional a group as I've ever seen.  They finished the year ranked #14 in Scoring Defense.  This defense will finish somewhere in the low 50s.   I know there's some philosophical differences in the approach to a defense on a team with a fast paced spread offense, but still...we're not good.  The pass D is horrible. That said, believe it or not, the 2008 version was ranked 54th in rush D.  Anyway...this 2010 version has players like Mike Blanc, Antoine Carter, Mike Goggins, Craig Stevens, Josh Bynes, Zac Ethridge, Mike McNeil, and Aairon Savage and Neiko Thorpe...all of which played or even started on that 2008 defense.  None of which have gotten better, and some have regressed.  That secondary was a decent secondary in 2008...and Bynes and Thorpe in particular showed great promise for young players, and neither looks like they have a clue this year, especially in the passing game.  The only players named from the 2008 squad that have improved, if at all, are the DL...the LBs and DBs have regressed badly, even with lots of experience. As with most things in football, I feel that the blame lies more in individual and group coaching of fundamentals than it does in scheme and plan.  I can't believe that Chizik would allow a fucked up scheme or plan to pass muster.  He may not be a micromanager enough to be in a position to fix the fundamentals.  I don't care about the accolades Roof gets for "adjustments".  Adjustments are often nothing more than throwing out what didn't work, and doing more of what did.  In the case of defense, it may be nothing more than a change in alignments, or simply playing more aggressively...taking chances you were afraid to take, but are forced in to taking.  Roof has been "good enough", but I'm not sold on him, or the guys coaching the positions on D, other than Rocker, who clearly knows what he's doing. 

FWIW, Randy Shannon is looking for a job, and is pretty widely respected as a Def. Coord.   Just sayin'.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 03:13:23 PM »
The 2010 Iron Bowl was the craziest that I can remember. In the first quarter, I thought for sure that I was gonna have to take GH's whiskey down in one shot. I didn't look pretty. Once the goal line defense stepped up, though, there was a glimmer of hope. Then came the Auburn TD. I saw the momentum shift at that point, and Bryant Denny became quiet. The 2nd half was all Auburn. There was some miraculous halftime adjustments on both sides of the ball but primarily the D. Roof seems to have a knack for making adjustments. Once this game was over, I felt like I had been through the landfall of a Cat 5 hurricane. AUsome, just freakin' AUsome!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 03:15:43 PM »
In reverse order:

In a media roll-call there will be few in our corner.
Auburn must finish.
So many outside of Auburn want Auburn/Cam to fail. Others are merely paying lip service hoping for the same results however... AUBURN WILL NOT FAIL!

Alabama under Saban and Ohio State under Tressel are models of consistency. The former just so happens to be in the SEC.

Crowton needs to find a JUCO QB that can do it all.

I thought FSU would be the surprise team of 2010.

and for personal bias-
USC and Kiffen deserve one another. I like Notre Dame only somewhat better.
Florida in agony should aid the other schools in that state but Texas in agony brings a smile to my face and aids the entire country.

There is no BCS Championship Game without a win in Atlanta.
 It's "ALL IN".

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 03:31:10 PM »
Alabama was preseason #1 and only lost 2 rather close games. 

They kinda got kicked around some in their other loss.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 04:13:02 PM »
Only care to comment on Auburn....

Completely agree on how resilient this team is, and how watching the Iron Bowl felt.  The entire watching experience was very very painful, until late in the game. 

On the defense, and game plans.  I don't know what their game plans are.  Nobody does except the coaches and team.  I doubt, that on paper, the plans are flawed from either a philosophical, schematic or technical standpoint.   The execution of the plans however, is another thing.  Here's what I do know:  The 2008 Auburn Tigers were as dysfunctional a group as I've ever seen.  They finished the year ranked #14 in Scoring Defense.  This defense will finish somewhere in the low 50s.   I know there's some philosophical differences in the approach to a defense on a team with a fast paced spread offense, but still...we're not good.  The pass D is horrible. That said, believe it or not, the 2008 version was ranked 54th in rush D.  Anyway...this 2010 version has players like Mike Blanc, Antoine Carter, Mike Goggins, Craig Stevens, Josh Bynes, Zac Ethridge, Mike McNeil, and Aairon Savage and Neiko Thorpe...all of which played or even started on that 2008 defense.  None of which have gotten better, and some have regressed.  That secondary was a decent secondary in 2008...and Bynes and Thorpe in particular showed great promise for young players, and neither looks like they have a clue this year, especially in the passing game.  The only players named from the 2008 squad that have improved, if at all, are the DL...the LBs and DBs have regressed badly, even with lots of experience. As with most things in football, I feel that the blame lies more in individual and group coaching of fundamentals than it does in scheme and plan.  I can't believe that Chizik would allow a fucked up scheme or plan to pass muster.  He may not be a micromanager enough to be in a position to fix the fundamentals.  I don't care about the accolades Roof gets for "adjustments".  Adjustments are often nothing more than throwing out what didn't work, and doing more of what did.  In the case of defense, it may be nothing more than a change in alignments, or simply playing more aggressively...taking chances you were afraid to take, but are forced in to taking.  Roof has been "good enough", but I'm not sold on him, or the guys coaching the positions on D, other than Rocker, who clearly knows what he's doing. 

FWIW, Randy Shannon is looking for a job, and is pretty widely respected as a Def. Coord.   Just sayin'.
I definitely agree.  The DL is one of the only reasons why Auburn is Undefeated right now and the LBers (only in defending the run).  I think Coach Chizik can and will get the coaching staff pieces in their correct positions.  I don't know if it's so much the position coaches as it's the lack of gameplanning, leading up to each game and lack of playcalling during the game for most of the first half.  The adjustments need to be made quicker.
It might be something as simple as moving Coach Roof up to the coaches box so he can see more of what's going on.

I'm happy for Zach Clayton, he finally completed a season without getting nicked up.  Nick Fairley finally kept playing like I thought he could.  Josh Bynes is a tough MLB and really good at stopping the between the tackles running.

I'm so fucking happy for this team and coaching staff.  They deserve ALL of the accolades that they'll receive.  It has been a fuckin' Awesome ride....and we still have two more games to enjoy.  BTW, I know that I've said it before, but it deserves repeating, I am so glad/happy/estatic that Coach Chizik is our HC.

I have been all season, but I am even moreso now...I AM "ALL IN".

War Damn Eagle!!!!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 04:15:39 PM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs