Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Tate: Kodi Burns Article

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Tate: Kodi Burns Article
« on: November 23, 2010, 01:12:18 PM »
Kodi is the epitome of an Auburn man.  He could have made a lot of different choices, but he did the right thing.  I want this season to go our way if for no other reason than to reward Kodi for what he has done.

This one's for you, Sweets... 

AUBURN -- Kodi Burns' decision 16 months ago to concede the quarterback job to Chris Todd is old news.

That decision prefaced a season that's about to become forgotten in Auburn lore. The current-day Tigers are 11-0, ranked No. 2 in the Bowl Championship Series standings and are two wins away from playing for a national title.

Coach Gene Chizik's first team, an 8-5 team, appears to be losing relevance by the minute.

Still, players see things differently.

"We wouldn't be the team we are today without Kodi setting that example," guard Mike Berry said. "It's easy to say you have to put the team first, that you do what you do for the team. Kodi didn't just say it. He did it. He showed everybody that it's not something coaches say. It's something people do to make their team better."

Burns was the incumbent at quarterback heading into the 2009 season. His primary competitor, Chris Todd, was coming off invasive shoulder surgery and his overall value was unclear.

A few weeks on the practice field changed everything.

Todd had regained most of his arm strength. His accuracy was excellent. His command of offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn's strategy was complete.

Burns realized that Todd was a better option.

So he stepped aside, asked coaches for a chance to compete at wideout and made a passionate plea for teammates to rally behind Todd.

The plan was straightforward.

That doesn't mean it was easy.

"It was kind of tough," Burns said Monday. "There were several options on the table. At the same time, I've been here for Auburn. I love being here. I decided to just stick with it and get a degree. I feel pretty good about how I went about things."

Changing positions is part of football.

Former standout Karlos Dansby arrived at Auburn as a wideout only to find himself thriving at linebacker a few years later. Jay Ratliff, now with the Dallas Cowboys, played tight end before shifting to the defensive line later in his college career.

T'Sharvan Bell has moved from safety to cornerback.

Daren Bates has moved from safety to linebacker.

Quarterbacks, though, are a unique breed of player. They're typically too meek to play other positions and a lack of speed often limits them to specialized roles.

Not Burns.

At 6-foot-2, he has the size to thrive at slot receiver. He showed ample elusiveness during his days at quarterback, and it's clear Burns has enough speed to hold his own.

Though he's still a peripheral element of the passing game -- Burns has a total of 13 catches in 24 games at wideout -- the Arkansas native is a menacing blocker. Auburn's rushing attack found a staunch ally in Burns, who has turned himself into a valuable downfield element.

It's a major break from his first two seasons on the Plains.

Still, younger players say Burns' willingness to retool his career to fit the team's needs is an inspiration.

"I never really planned on going to Auburn, so I didn't really watch them and know how much Kodi meant to the program and what all he'd done up to that point," said sophomore wideout Emory Blake, who attended high school in Texas. "I was unaware of what that means. Now I'm aware and it was a great thing for him to do. It definitely shows the kind of character he has and the kind of person he is."

Burns is glad his story made a difference.

"Sometimes things don't work out your way," he said. "Everybody on the team as well as the coaching staff understand what kind of person I am. I'm unselfish. I'm just trying to help the team win a national championship."

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: Tate: Kodi Burns Article
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 01:54:12 PM »
War Damn Kodi!  It is pretty impressive that he moved from QB to become probably our best blocking wide receiver, the one skill that a QB has to be the least competent at.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 04:11:53 PM »
War Damn Kodi!  It is pretty impressive that he moved from QB to become probably our best blocking wide receiver, the one skill that a QB has to be the least competent at.

Cam newton says: Fuck that:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 04:14:31 PM »
Oh shit. I just replayed that 5 times in a row. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 09:06:57 PM »
And there you fuckers go, downplaying Kodi again.

We don't win without the workhorses, hoss.

Thanks, Jen. You know.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 12:05:37 AM »
And there you fuckers go, downplaying Kodi again.

We don't win without the workhorses, hoss.

Thanks, Jen. You know.

Got your back, sister.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
See, its this kind of mindset that has caught onto this whole team. The 2010 Auburn football team may not be the best overall team in the country, but there is a whole lots of this that fuels the fire driving these guys to the mountain top.
"It was kind of tough," Burns said Monday. "There were several options on the table. At the same time, I've been here for Auburn. I love being here. I decided to just stick with it and get a degree. I feel pretty good about how I went about things."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions