Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Les Miles & The Bizzarro Erin Andrews Question

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Les Miles & The Bizzarro Erin Andrews Question
« on: November 23, 2010, 12:35:36 PM »
I'd say the old reporter guy was retired on purpose from the Advocate... :jaw:

With Miles being the interview-ee... could have been a LOT worse!!

Miles fields offbeat question about ESPN reporter

By SCOTT RABALAIS

An offbeat exchange between LSU football coach Les Miles and a retired Advocate reporter led to some awkward moments Monday at Miles’ weekly news conference.

Near the end of Miles’ question and answer session, former Advocate sportswriter Ted Castillo asked Miles about being interviewed by ESPN sideline reporter Erin Andrews.

“What is it like to be, and you can take the Fifth (Amendment) on this, but what is it like to be interviewed by a sweet, young thing like Erin Andrews?” Castillo asked.

Miles responded by saying: “If they had given that job to some old, big, ugly man, it wouldn’t be nearly as much fun. But what a joy it is to represent LSU in the postgame with victory and to celebrate victory in a postgame interview with a very talented, very attractive woman.”

Andrews was the subject of a celebrated invasion of privacy incident in 2009 when she was secretly videotaped in the nude through peepholes in her hotel room. Michael David Barrett pled guilty to interstate stalking and admitted he shot videos of Andrews on at least two occasions.

Barrett was sentenced in March to 27 months in prison.

The case became the subject of a follow-up statement by Castillo.

“You know they nabbed the guy who was filming her through the keyhole,” Castillo said to Miles.

“I’m not going to go there, Ted,” Miles replied.

“What I’d like to know is how that guy pulled that off,” Castillo continued, “because I’ve been peeping through keyholes for years and I’ve yet to see anything but a blank wall.”

Miles responded: “Ted, damn if I’m not impressed with your candor. I’m with ya,” before moving on to a question on a football-related topic by WBRZ sports director Michael Cauble.

Castillo, 86, worked for The Advocate from 1948-91 and for several years after that wrote stories for the newspaper as a freelance writer.

By Monday afternoon, Castillo’s questions and Miles’ responses were posted on several Internet sites, including Deadspin.com, a sports-related website that offers frequently irreverent and critical takes on sports figures and sports media, often through video-based stories.

News of Castillo and Miles’ exchange reached Andrews on Monday afternoon.

She texted LSU sports information director Michael Bonnette moments after the news conference ended. Bonnette said Andrews basically said she heard her name came up at Miles’ news conference and asked whether she should be concerned.

Bonnette said he attempted to call Andrews back but was unable to contact her.

ESPN’s Josh Krulewitz, vice president of public relations for college and news, did contact The Advocate and LSU seeking to learn more about what was said.

Contacted on Monday night, Krulewitz said: “We’re not going to dignify those offensive questions with a response.”

Miles called Andrews after the incident became public to offer his support and encouragement, according to Bonnette. Bonnette said Miles was sensitive to and supportive of Andrews’ situation.

Since his retirement, Castillo has frequently attended LSU sporting events and news conferences and often asks questions and offers his view on topics at Miles’ weekly media gathering.

“I consider Ted a longtime fixture in the media in Baton Rouge, and I have never considered it my position to block his participation in our news conferences,” Bonnette said. “In the past he has generally asked good questions. Coach Miles has enjoyed his relationship with Ted. He only sees him about 12 times a year, and he respects Ted and understands that he’s been around a long time and has a history about LSU to share.

“But that being said, what happened (Monday) was unfortunate and something that we don’t condone.”

Bonnette said LSU would consider taking steps to try to ensure questions at future news conferences stay on topic. He did not say whether Castillo would be banned from future news conferences or from asking questions.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Les Miles & The Bizzarro Erin Andrews Question
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 12:43:10 PM »
I thought The Hat handled that pretty well and I have no problem with a little joking around.  The old dude apparently doesn't give a rip anymore and he's gonna' say what he wants to say. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 12:51:38 PM »
I thought The Hat handled that pretty well and I have no problem with a little joking around.  The old dude apparently doesn't give a rip anymore and he's gonna' say what he wants to say.

I guess you get to the point in old age where you don't even have an internal censor anymore because you know that either nobody will take you seriously, or just chalk it up to senility.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 12:54:22 PM »
I guess you get to the point in old age where you don't even have an internal censor anymore because you know that either nobody will take you seriously, or just chalk it up to senility.

Damn, I'm apparently older than I thought I was.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 01:00:12 PM »
Damn, I'm apparently older than I thought I was.

I hate to say it but you came to mind before I even read your post.   :vn:

My partner (Work..not life) and I were just talking about his dad and he said apparently, he's just gotten so old, he doesn't care anymore what he says or to whom he says it.  Said they were in teh Wal Marks last night and his dad was over in the next checkout line talking to some other old guy about underwear brands and they were taking eggs out of the guys carton and holding them up and inspecting them.

My partner was like WTH???
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 01:03:33 PM »
I hate to say it but you came to mind before I even read your post.   :vn:

Fuck it. 
What are they gonna make me do? Join the Corps?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 01:14:02 PM »
I've always wondered what kind of hotel actually still has a key hole?  Can ESPN not spring for a decent hotel with one of those new inventions called a card key?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 01:16:42 PM »
I've always wondered what kind of hotel actually still has a key hole?  Can ESPN not spring for a decent hotel with one of those new inventions called a card key?

Based on what I saw was told it was actually the peep hole.  Not the key hole.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 01:38:36 PM »
Based on what I saw was told it was actually the peep hole.  Not the key hole.
It was a reverse peephole.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 01:57:08 PM »
Well, the my first thought was the Porky's movie. I couldn't the clip I was looking for but I found this. This is some seriously funny shit. Its been a long time since I have seen this movie.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions