Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Knee Surgery Tips?

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
Knee Surgery Tips?
« on: November 10, 2010, 06:32:10 AM »
OK, so I've never had any type of surgery before. Yesterday my knee got scoped to fix a torn meniscus. Turns out, when they got in there, the meniscus was completely detatched from the bone and they had to re-attach it. I'm taking Percocet and icing my knee regularly. Anybody have any tips on knee recovery?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Knee Surgery Tips?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 09:04:11 AM »
OK, so I've never had any type of surgery before. Yesterday my knee got scoped to fix a torn meniscus. Turns out, when they got in there, the meniscus was completely detatched from the bone and they had to re-attach it. I'm taking Percocet and icing my knee regularly. Anybody have any tips on knee recovery?

Having went through this in 96, I can tell you that the rehab is extremely important. It sucks, it hurts, you're gonna want to slap the physical therapist....but do what they say in your exercise assignments. It's very crucial to everything repairing correctly.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 09:32:20 AM »
^^^This^^^

I have not <knock on wood> had any problems with my knee, but I am still recovering from an Achilles rupture.  The physical therapy is the real key in the end to getting back to normal.  Muscle atrophy is a bitch...after just 2 weeks in a cast, I had the calf of an 8 year old girl.  Building your muscles back up around the tendons is a HUGE key to returning to normal.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

RWS

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 09:53:35 AM »
Having went through this in 96, I can tell you that the rehab is extremely important. It sucks, it hurts, you're gonna want to slap the physical therapist....but do what they say in your exercise assignments. It's very crucial to everything repairing correctly.
I've heard alot of this, and it makes sense really. I have PT on Friday. These Percocets aren't doing anything for me, so I will have some new pain meds this afternoon. I plan on loading up before I go to PT.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 10:05:33 AM »
I've heard alot of this, and it makes sense really. I have PT on Friday. These Percocets aren't doing anything for me, so I will have some new pain meds this afternoon. I plan on loading up before I go to PT.
Having back problems physical therapy has helped me more than anything. After a year Loratabs are just advil with a cool name. Now muscle relaxers.....oh yeah.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 12:49:58 AM »
Having back problems physical therapy has helped me more than anything. After a year Loratabs are just advil with a cool name. Now muscle relaxers.....oh yeah.

SOMA 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 01:00:52 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Six

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 09:26:56 AM »
You realize this was all a scam because the doc was a payment behind on his summer home, right? 

Your knee wasn't even hurt.  You should have just gotten up and run off the field like Coach Saban said.

Pussy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 10:53:35 PM »
I've had acl reconstructive and arthroscopic surgery on the same knee. You therapy is important as stated.  The worst is trying to bend your knee until it feels that it will POP....but trust the doctor.  Try to get one of those muscle stimulators to put on your quad to strengthen the muscle when you're not using. Do NOT put it on your junk...trust me.

If you get to my level down the road, you will be able to predict cold weather and rainstorms by aching patterns in your knee.  But you must make it through the rehab first.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 01:01:21 PM »
I've had acl reconstructive and arthroscopic surgery on the same knee. You therapy is important as stated.  The worst is trying to bend your knee until it feels that it will POP....but trust the doctor.  Try to get one of those muscle stimulators to put on your quad to strengthen the muscle when you're not using. Do NOT put it on your junk...trust me.

If you get to my level down the road, you will be able to predict cold weather and rainstorms by aching patterns in your knee.  But you must make it through the rehab first.
So far, I'm realizing the importance of physical therapy. My therapist has given me a list of exercises to do with my leg twice a day. I'm doing them like 7 times a day. So far, I'm 1½ weeks out of surgery, and I'm already at my week 4 results in PT. Other than my 1st session, they really aren't hurting me with anything in PT. At this point, I'm in less pain than I was before the surgery. Partial credit goes to already having strong legs. My legs are like a RB's legs, and have always been very strong. Apparently that helps make up some difference when it comes to knees.

I never would have thought this, but according to my therapist, recovery from a re-attached meniscus is harder than recovering from an ACL tear. Of course, the surgery for an ACL tear is much more complicated due to location. With a re-attachment, you have to be so careful not to shear it back off the bone.

Apparently for my re-attachment, they used 4 sutures and 4 bio absorbable screws. These are screws that they screw into your bone to help hold the meniscus in place while it re-attaches. I have never heard of these in my life. It's amazing the technology we have in medicine nowadays. Lesson learned, though. I'm going to take care of my knees from now on. I will definitely make a more conscious effort to not come down hard on, and twist my legs when coming out of fire trucks in the future.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 01:03:40 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Aubie16

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 08:47:22 PM »
Get a staph infection from the surgery. It will help your recovery. I promise. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010