Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Another Good Guy

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Another Good Guy
« on: November 15, 2010, 02:31:13 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2010/11/13/2010-11-13_former_cowboys_running_back_tony_dorsett_calls_cam_newton_frenzy_a_modernday_lyn.html

Former Cowboys running back Tony Dorsett calls Cam Newton frenzy a 'modern-day lynching'

BY ERIC BARROW   
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, November 13th 2010, 3:58 PM

It's lunch time Friday in Dallas and Tony Dorsett is fuming. The former Cowboys star running back and Hall of Famer is talking about Cam Newton, the Auburn quarterback and Heisman Trophy candidate who has been at the center of allegations that he, along with his father Cecil, solicited cash for his services from Mississippi State and other schools, and that he turned in fraudulent school work while at the University of Florida.

Dorsett, who won the Heisman Trophy in 1976 while at Pittsburgh, hates what he's hearing, and thinks there is a calculated attack underway of Newton and the Auburn University.

"I think it's a witch hunt. It's a modern-day lynching of an athlete," says Dorsett. "I mean come on. If there was something going on they would have had to know about it way in advance. Why all of a sudden the school gets some success and he's successful, he's one of the front-runners for the Heisman Trophy, then all of a sudden all this comes to the forefront?"

None of these allegations will change Dorsett's Heisman vote, which, if asked for it today, he would cast for Newton.

"I just think it's ridiculous what they're doing to the young man," says Dorsett. "Nothing has been proven just yet to my knowledge… He's a hell of an athlete and it's just a bad situation right now and it's unfortunate the timing of this. This is a young man. This is a life we're talking about."

Dorsett is semi-retired after a brilliant career in Dallas, and a short-lived stint in Denver. He left the game as the NFL's second-leading rusher behind only Walter Payton with 12,739 yards (he currently ranks 8th), 90 total touchdowns and one Super Bowl title.

Dorsett is 56 now, and still lives in the Dallas area with his wife, Janet, and three daughters (his son Anthony played 8 seasons in the NFL with the Titans and Raiders). Dorsett says his main job these days is being a husband and a father, but he also works for a company promoting a new disinfectant called IV-7.

But what does Dorsett think about the 1-7 Cowboys who have a new head coach in Jason Garrett - after the firing of Wade Phillips last week - and visit the Giants today at New Meadowlands Stadium?

"I think it was time for a change… It's almost like the inmates were running the asylum," says Dorsett.

"The Cowboys weren't living up to everybody's expectations. During the season, I didn't think it was going to happen like that, but I think change is good right now.

"I don't think players were being held accountable," continues Dorsett. "I've seen coach making excuses for why guys weren't doing their jobs instead of holding them accountable… this was just a bad situation that had to be corrected."

Dorsett also blames the Cowboys coaches for not practicing in pads since the end of training camp, something Garrett corrected immediately. "You practice like you play," says Dorsett. "Little things make big things happen. You've got to practice with some kind of contact at full speed."

And when asked how would Dorsett's coach, the legendary Tom Landry would have handled this group of 'Boys, Dorsett bursts into laughter.

"Coach Landry wouldn't have it let it get that far," says Dorsett.

"Guys would have known what their roles were and what was expected of them and if they weren't doing it, they can expect to be somewhere else. Football players need that fear hanging over their heads as that makes them go out and play better."
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 02:32:44 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: Another Good Guy
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 11:40:25 PM »
Dorsett talks, people listen....notice how he's questioning the timing of the story, something that the media has yet to really do.  The media just says a little about it, but never really questions it...nor do they question why is this coming of now, who has the most to gain?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs