Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

thanksgiving turkey

chinook

thanksgiving turkey
« on: November 08, 2010, 05:39:34 PM »
i plan on being nontraditional for the upcoming turkey day.

the plan...smoking a turkey.

12 - 15 lb turkey.  washed.  giblets and neck removed.

brine turkey over night in apple and cranberry juice. kosher salt.  brown sugar.

i'll shove the bird in a 5 gallon bucket with brine.  place in a ice filled igloo cooler.  set outside overnight.  cover with a bucket lid and slap a 10 lb rock on the lid. 

next morning wash and inject bird with apple juice and cranberry juice.  stuff bird with slice apples and pears perhaps fresh cranberries.  fruit helps maintain moisture.

smoke @ 250 (hickory or pecan pellets) for @ least 6 hrs.   i'll foil the top of the bird to prevent burning of skin.  i'll probe the bird in two spots to keep track of internal temperature.

rest, slice and enjoy.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Yoda

Re: thanksgiving turkey
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 06:02:28 PM »
If you are soaking the bird in a brine, there is no reason to inject it.  Don't believe in injecting anything unless you are deep frying it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A girl's legs are her best friends, but the best of friends must part.
-- Redd Foxx

chinook

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 06:22:55 PM »
If you are soaking the bird in a brine, there is no reason to inject it.  Don't believe in injecting anything unless you are deep frying it.

i understand; however, i've done it both ways.  it seemed the moisture and flavor was a bit better with the injected bird.  i failed to mention i'll include melted butter in the injected solution.

also, i've used a dry rub on whole chicken.  perhaps instead of injecting i'll rub it. 

the other thing i'm going to try differently is to separate, carefully, the skin from the meat.  trying to leave as much skin on as possible.  i've also stuffed the bird with oranges, but it came out bitter. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 06:23:38 PM by chinook »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Yoda

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 08:43:46 PM »
It sounds good, the reason I say I wouldn't inject is one if the brine has salt in it the turkey will absorb as much moisture as it can and two you will be slow cooking it.  Putting holes in it will allow that moisture to seep out while cooking it.  The rub would be the way to go.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A girl's legs are her best friends, but the best of friends must part.
-- Redd Foxx