Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

BCS runs through Tuskaloser?

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
BCS runs through Tuskaloser?
« on: November 02, 2010, 11:14:37 AM »
Ok, I have to admit, the way things are looking the one of the slots in the BCS NC game does run through Tuskaloser; that is if bama beats the corndogs this weekend.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/11/scarbinsky_real_bcs_race_start.html
Scarbinsky: Real BCS race starts now and goes through Alabama
Published: Tuesday, November 02, 2010, 6:32 AM
Kevin Scarbinsky, Birmingham News

Julio Jones is a college football player, but he had better things to do on his Saturday off than watch college football.

He slept. Woke up and ate. Went back to sleep. Woke up and ate some more.

Can't blame him. Why watch the other teams in the BCS race? Alabama's star receiver votes only with his hands and feet on Sat­urdays like the one to come at LSU.

His battery mate, Greg McElroy, couldn't stay away from football, and he didn't just watch. He be­came a cheerleader for Ne­braska, Iowa and USC.

When Nebraska and Iowa knocked off previous unbeatens Missouri and Michigan State, two out of three wasn't bad at all for the No. 1 one-loss team in America.

"Obviously, we're very pleased and happy with what happened Saturday," McElroy said.

Obviously. Two of Ala­bama's biggest victories came on a day when McEl­roy didn't throw a single ball and Jones didn't catch one.

You don't need a BCS computer to do the math. There are only two un­beaten teams from major conferences left. There are only three teams that con­trol their own destiny.

Two of them live in this state.

The other quacks like a Duck.

As the final month of the regular season begins, only Oregon, Auburn and Ala­bama can sleep secure in the knowledge that, if they keep winning, they'll keep playing until they get to Glendale, Ariz.

Boise State and the TCU-Utah winner will be done in by their schedules.

Those teams like to complain that their schedules aren't their fault, but as one major college coach with a vote told me, that's not his fault, either. Voters have to judge teams on how they play and who they play. If the WAC and Mountain West champs don't like it, let them throw a tea party.

Alabama players didn't throw a victory party after Saturday's fortuitous events, but they understood that their ultimate goal is now back in their control.

"I feel like, if we just keep winning and we just keep getting better every single week, everything else will take care of itself," Mark Ingram said.

Like, if you keep winning, you'll return to the BCS Championship Game?

He nodded and repeated, "I feel like everything will take care of itself."

Even Alabama coach Nick Saban, never one to look far beyond the next practice rep, mentioned the big picture during his opening statement at Monday's weekly press conference.

"This team has a great opportunity in the last one-third of the season," he said.

Like the opportunity to control your own BCS destiny?

"I think there are a lot of other people in the same boat," he said, "so it's who can take care of their business the best down the road by what you control."

In other words, the real race for the national title starts now, and it goes through Tuscaloosa. Again.

Saban did some seriously subtle lobbying Monday. He pointed out the strength of Alabama's remaining SEC opponents, LSU, Mississippi State and Auburn. Their record: 23-3.

He noted that playing in the SEC "means that you can't just get up for one or two games during the season."

He managed to raise the usual questions about Boise, TCU and Utah without ever mentioning them by name.

Auburn was a different story.

Asked about parity in college football, Saban named Oregon and Auburn as the two teams that have been able to dominate "most consistently so far this year."

Asked about LSU's formerly formidable run defense, which Auburn shredded for 440 yards, Saban said, "We don't have that kind of quarterback. We don't have that kind of offense."

Asked about LSU's two quarterbacks, Saban noted that Jordan Jefferson runs "some plays that are similar, for our fans, to what Auburn does" with its quarterback.

The number of Auburn references had to be a personal record for the Alabama coach for a non-Iron Bowl week.

No doubt LSU is front and center in his frontal lobe, but Saban did seem to have Auburn and Cam Newton on the brain in a positive way.

These days, all the smart people in college football do.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions