Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Something we already know

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Something we already know
« on: October 27, 2010, 08:46:02 PM »
We all know the target is on our back now, thats not a secret. The luxuries of being #1 comes with the test of everyones best. It's time to put up or shut the fuck up. We have it laid out plain and simple, win and we're in the NC game. We all know this.
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/31031/auburn-takes-its-turn-at-handling-no-1
Auburn takes its turn at handling No. 1
October, 27, 2010 Oct 274:25PM ETEmail Print Comments By Chris LowGetting past the whole No. 1 curse is tough enough.

But Auburn has something else working against it this week when it travels to Ole Miss.

Putting three straight games together in this league has been a bear this season, especially when the first two were emotionally draining games over nationally ranked opponents and that third game just happens to be on the road.

That’s the challenge for the Tigers, who’ve taken down No. 6 LSU and No. 12 Arkansas each of the last two weeks at home.

“It’s only going to get tougher from here, and I don’t care who we play,” Auburn senior linebacker Josh Bynes said. “We know other people are going to turn their game up, which means we’ll turn our game up. We don’t have any choice.”

It’s been well-chronicled how short-lived the No. 1 spot nationally has been for teams this season.

In fact, No. 1 teams have gone down each of the last three weeks.

Alabama lost to South Carolina as the No. 1 team in both of the polls back on Oct. 9. That next week, Ohio State ascended to No. 1 in the polls and promptly fell to Wisconsin.

This past weekend, Oklahoma went into Columbia, Mo., after debuting at No. 1 in the first BCS standings and lost to Missouri.

Now, it’s Auburn’s turn to see if it can make that No. 1 label in the BCS standings stick.

“If we do our job, you can cut that statistic out,” said Auburn quarterback Cam Newton, who in eight games as a starter has become perhaps the most recognizable player in college football.

He insists he has the maturity to handle the spotlight, and more importantly, this team has the maturity to handle it.

But, then, handling the spotlight is one thing. Handling the grind of this league is quite another.

It caught up to Alabama in that third game earlier this season. The Crimson Tide went on the road to beat nationally ranked Arkansas, then came back home to beat nationally ranked Florida, but faltered that next week at nationally ranked South Carolina.

LSU had escaped at home against Tennessee, played its best game of the season that next week on the road against nationally ranked Florida, and after breezing past McNeese State in a nonconference game, fell short at Auburn that next week.

Auburn is one of four teams in the SEC that will be playing its ninth straight game this weekend without a bye. The others are Georgia, Kentucky and Mississippi State.

Mindful of the wear and tear such a stretch can have on a team, the Auburn coaches scaled back a little bit in Tuesday’s practice. It’s normally the most physical practice of the week, but the Tigers worked in helmets and shoulder pads instead of their usual full pads.

That doesn’t mean they didn’t get after it, but nobody needs to tell Chizik or anybody on his staff how key this week is. If the Tigers can get past Ole Miss, they get a semi-break with Chattanooga coming to town the next week.

After that, it’s Georgia at home on Nov. 13, a bye week and then Alabama on Nov. 26.

The only thing on Chizik’s mind is getting better as a football team, and more specifically, becoming a more complete football team.

“We’re too sporadic,” Chizik said. “In some games, we play lights out and do some nice things. And some other games, we really struggle. So we've got to improve defensively. There’s no question about that.

“Special teams-wise, it’s been good. But last week, we lost the special teams battle to LSU, and for us to be a really good all-around, solid football team, it’s going to take field-position issues that we’ve got to win. Right now, we're not winning as many as we need to. Special teams are going be a big factor as we go forward.”

Not to mention handling the grind.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
Re: Something we already know
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 09:15:59 PM »
We just handled our 3 straight SEC game. And gained 440 yards rushing doing it. We are on to #4. And I see the same results happening...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 09:44:51 PM »
We just handled our 3 straight SEC game. And gained 440 yards rushing doing it. We are on to #4. And I see the same results happening...
I feel you bro. I think w/o a doubt that this team as got the "it"factor and will take care of business. The talking heads can vomit "trap game" all they want. I seriously think we will take care of business against the Ole Miss pussies. Don't mistake this, my previous post, as a concern. I for real feel that we will take this shit to the house with a W. All that I am saying is that we can complain as a fan base all we want about 04. We now have the road laid out in front us for the taking. Its time for this team to strap on the boots and whoop some ass all the way to victory lane.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 09:50:32 PM »
I feel you bro. I think w/o a doubt that this team as got the "it"factor and will take care of business. The talking heads can vomit "trap game" all they want. I seriously think we will take care of business against the Ole Miss pussies. Don't mistake this, my previous post, as a concern. I for real feel that we will take this shit to the house with a W. All that I am saying is that we can complain as a fan base all we want about 04. We now have the road laid out in front us for the taking. Its time for this team to strap on the boots and whoop some ass all the way to victory lane.

The media wants us to lose. Just like they wanted oklahoma to lose Saturday and they want oregon to lose. So they can cream their fruit of the looms over TCU vs Boise. Funk dat...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 10:57:32 PM »
The media wants us to lose. Just like they wanted oklahoma to lose Saturday and they want oregon to lose. So they can cream their fruit of the looms over TCU vs Boise. Funk dat...

Well, Auburn will just have to make it their business to keep the shit straight. When Auburn wins out, I would put money on those same "talking heads" being in full support.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 09:41:55 AM »
Look for them to downplay ours and Oregons wins.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 11:01:30 AM »
Look for them to downplay ours and Oregons wins.

That may try but its not gonna be very affective. I mean, Cam is on every sports outlet and on the mind of every Heisman voter. Oregon is putting up sick numbers. Both teams go undefeated, we will all see the human polls magically align themselves with the BCS poll.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions