Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Press Conference Notes

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
Press Conference Notes
« on: October 26, 2010, 01:43:59 PM »
Gene Chizik

On what the team needs to do to beat Ole Miss in Oxford…

“We’re going to have to play very well to be able to do that.”

On Jeremiah Masoli…

“He’s extremely talented.” He’s dangerous with both his arm and his ability to make things happen with his feet. Breaking the pocket, getting out in space, choosing to run the ball or hitting those big targets he has as receivers. He brings a whole other dimension to their offense that makes it very challenging to stop.

On if Masoli and Cam Newton have any similarities…

“Both can give you a lot of problems just by their ability to make things happen when something isn’t necessarily there.”

On if he is able to enjoy being ranked No. 1 in the BCS…

“I haven’t really stepped back to look at it, to be honest with you.” You can be happy with the result, but we shouldn’t at all be satisfied with where we’re at. We’re still trying to play a game with four quarters. I’m really proud of the effort of our team and the way they’ve fought and clobbered their way back into games and closed the door on games that we have been ahead in. “(The ranking) just doesn’t matter. The only thing that matters is this Saturday.”

On the young players not getting caught up in the media hype…

“Maturity plays a part. Being mature and being able to stay grounded is the key.”

On if he sees opponents play their best games when they play Auburn…

“We fully expect to get everybody’s best shot. That’s what makes it fun.”

On if they still trust Mario Fannin even though he has fumbled three times in eight games…

“Absolutely. We’re right there with him. We need Mario Fannin to win. There’s no question about that.” I can turn on film and show you guys that have made mistakes that go unnoticed. We’re sticking with our guys.

On if there will be any changes at punt returner…

“Right now we’ve got the order set with the people that we believe can punt return for us if something happens with Q (Quindarius Carr). We’re prepared to do what we have to do to play the best guy. “We don’t anticipate any significant changes, but we’re always prepared to put another guy back there if we have to do that.”
On Zac Etheridge playing football less than a year after a brutal hit that could have potentially ended his career…

“He’s blessed, let me tell you.” A year ago was a very hard time for everybody - him, his family, the team. I’m in amazement when I really step back and think about that day. He’s very blessed, he knows he is. I’m sure he’s not going to forget that.

On the improvement in block on the perimeter and up front on offense…

“There’s been some significant improvement from Game 3. When you challenge our guys, as a coach you look for guys to respond. If they’re not responding, we’re going to have issues.” Starting with our offensive line. I went in there last week and told them, ‘You’re what makes it go.’ Them being physical - that’s what we have to have. Everybody’s got to raise their level of play individually. The line is not perfect every play, but as long as the effort is there, that’s all we can ask for.

On Eric Smith’s performance this season…

We challenged him a couple of week ago as well. “I like him because he does dirty work. He knows that’s his job. It’s not always glamorous or glorious, but it’s what we need to win.” He needs to continue on that path. He’s one of those guys whose role is kind of unsung. What he brings to the table is huge. I thought he wasn’t as physical as he needed to be and wasn’t playing up to some of the potential he had the year before, be he has responded.

On doing community service, but not getting much attention for it…

“I don’t think you do things for the community or for other people to get attention for it.” Doing it is important because I ‘m so blessed in my life, whenever I have a chance to give back, I do. That’s what we should do. That’s part of our job. We can and we should.

On Newton’s progression both as a player and a leader…

“You hope that there’s a steady progression every week.” That doesn’t mean there’s not things in there we wish we could take back here and there. He’s made significant strides in being a true leader of the offense. Kind of like his game has evolved, week- by-week it’s gotten better.

Cam Newton

On his Heisman Web site….

“I’ve checked it out.” I can’t look at it for too long though. Somebody put some thought in to it. They did a better job than I could have. It’s bigger than I thought it could be. “But I’m just trying to win games. Simple and plain.”

On the comparison of where he is now to where he was a year ago…

“Every morning I try to pinch myself because I’m in a dream right now.” Everything happens for a reason, I’m a firm believer in that.

On having to paint the stadium at Blinn Community College…

We had to get a bunch of paint and brushes. “These weren’t like the ones you get at Home Depot. These were like the sample brushes that you have to keep dipping like three times.” It was in the spring before the spring game. I had just gotten there a month before. A couple months ago I’m sitting back (at UF) drinking Gatorade watching NFL prospects.

On the response from fellow students at Auburn…

“When you walk on campus you feel the love. They make you feel special.” There’s something special about this place. There’s more to it than just football.

On if he thinks he is fast…

“I wouldn’t consider myself fast, I just consider myself not being able to get caught.” I’d just hate to get caught in open field - that’d be shameful for me.

On helping Mike Dyer move the pile against LSU…

“I didn’t hear no whistle.” I just wanted to keep going and move the chains. Coach Gus Malzahn teaches us to play to the whistle. My mind is machine-like to go to the whistle.

On what he thinks when he sees “No. 1” next to Auburn…

“Honestly I haven’t even seen it.” I’ve heard a lot of it. It doesn’t matter after Week 8. “There’s only one week it really matters, and that’s at the end of the year.” This could be the one time for us to talk about it and next week it could be whatever.

On if he is satisfied with how he is playing…

“I’m not satisfied with my performance. Coach Malzahn always feels that I could get better and I see what he sees.”

On Eric Smith…

Eric is an unselfish guy. We need him more than ever. “He takes criticism and turns that into motivation.” This year his job has been even bigger because he’s been in some big moments and is making big blocks. He doesn’t complain about not getting attention. “That goes to show what type of people we have on this team.”

On Masoli…

“He’s an elusive guy.” He is fun to watch. Just what he can do, it’s a scare for defenders. Our defense will have an excellent week of practice and we should be successful.

On teams that have been ranked No. 1 losing on the road the following week…

“If we do our job, you can cut that statistic out.” We feel that our coaches do an excellent job preparing us. Newton said if something happens, the blame can’t be put on the coaches, it should be put on the players.

Word
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Press Conference Notes
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 01:58:04 PM »
Nice read.  Did anyone catch the start of the Oregon/UCLA game last Thursday.  They stopped the Oregon Corch and asked him if they felt pressure being #1 and he said something to the effect of pressure is being unprepared and not knowing what you're doing.  We know what we're doing.

I like that confidence.  When you're prepared to the point that you know without a doubt that you have one job, execute the way the Corches taught you, that has to take the pressure off.  Screw the other team.  We're fuckin' ready for what they've got and it's execute...game over.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 02:44:32 PM »
Coach Chizik
On if he is able to enjoy being ranked No. 1 in the BCS…

“I haven’t really stepped back to look at it, to be honest with you.” You can be happy with the result, but we shouldn’t at all be satisfied with where we’re at. We’re still trying to play a game with four quarters. I’m really proud of the effort of our team and the way they’ve fought and clobbered their way back into games and closed the door on games that we have been ahead in. “(The ranking) just doesn’t matter. The only thing that matters is this Saturday.”

Cam Newton
On what he thinks when he sees “No. 1” next to Auburn…

“Honestly I haven’t even seen it.” I’ve heard a lot of it. It doesn’t matter after Week 8. “There’s only one week it really matters, and that’s at the end of the year.” This could be the one time for us to talk about it and next week it could be whatever.

You better watch you two, Prowler might call you a pussy. I know you will be upset about that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 02:49:42 PM »
Ok, I'm just  :poke:. Seriously though, the target is on our back and I do like what Chizik said.
“We fully expect to get everybody’s best shot. That’s what makes it fun.”
There is no doubt in my mind that the guys have level heads and are grounded. I strongly believe that this will not be a hindrance to the play of the Auburn team. The target is on our back and it is time to put a boot in anybodys ass that tries to take our #1 spot away.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 03:08:28 PM »
People don't give Chiz enough credit for being fluent in coach schpeak.  I'll take that shit any day over a Lame Kitten type who is liable to vomit all over himself anytime the cameras are rolling or the mics are recording. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 03:20:27 PM »
People don't give Chiz enough credit for being fluent in coach schpeak.  I'll take that shit any day over a Lame Kitten type who is liable to vomit all over himself anytime the cameras are rolling or the mics are recording.

He aced Coach Speak 101 and 102. There are many coaches that have no control over their emotions in front of the camera or mic.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 03:21:42 PM by djsimp41 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 03:24:08 PM »
He aced Coach Speak 101 and 102. There are many coaches that have no control over their emotions in front of the camera or mic.

Stop disparaging the Corching profession.  These guys are well schooled in the art of public speaking and especially in the area of controlling their emotions.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 03:49:06 PM »
It 's The Chin.  It exerts supreme control over the mouth.  Start to say something stupid and BAM!!  The Chin shuts that bitch down.

Note:  Dooley?  Weak chin.

Kiffin.  NO chin.

Shula:  Straight from lips to neck.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 03:51:27 PM »
Shula:  Straight from lips to neck.

Hell, you could barely hear what he said anyway. I'm not sure his nuts had dropped yet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions