Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Auburn's Cam Newton forces game to evolve

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Auburn's Cam Newton forces game to evolve
« on: October 25, 2010, 08:08:26 AM »
Kennedy: Auburn's Cam Newton forces game to evolve
Published: Sunday, October 24, 2010, 6:22 PM     Updated: Sunday, October 24, 2010, 6:27 PM

Auburn quarterback Cam Newton (2) is stopped after a first down run by LSU's Kendrick Adams (93) in the second half of an NCAA college football game at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., Saturday, Oct. 23, 2010.

AUBURN -- Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn has always believed that balance is the key to a successful offense.

But that philosophy was established before he met Cam Newton. The Tigers' junior quarterback is not only altering the balance of power in the SEC, he's beginning to change the long-held beliefs of his offensive coordinator.

"I've always believed that we have to take what a defense gives us," Malzahn said. "But until they stop the run, there's no reason to throw it. I'm sure there's going to be a time when we will have to throw it, but ..."

Malzahn, like any coach in his position, didn't feel comfortable completing the quote. So I'll help him out. No defense has come close to stopping Auburn's running attack this season, especially since Malzahn and the rest of the AU staff realized exactly how special their 6-foot-6, 250-pound big-play-waiting-to-happen quarterback is.

After watching the No. 1 defense in the SEC get shredded for 440 yards on the ground, any reasonable person would have to wonder what it's going to take to slow the Tigers' running attack. When will anyone come up with a plan and a group of athletes capable of sharing a field with Newton without being embarrassed?

done special RANDY KENNEDY.jpg

LSU's defense actually played pretty well Saturday. The Bengal Tigers limited Auburn to 86 passing yards. They corralled Newton behind the line of scrimmage more than any Auburn opponent has done all season. They made numerous open-field tackles on Newton that had been going for long gainers against other teams. They held Auburn to one completion for minus-2 yards in the final 24 minutes.

Yet Newton still gained 217 yards on 28 carries and scored as many touchdowns (2) as the entire LSU team. And, as he had done against the previous seven opponents, he made it look easy.

Of his 49-yard touchdown run early in the second half -- which may prove to be the signature moment in his almost inevitable march to the Heisman Trophy -- Newton gave this matter-of-fact assessment: "That's just a play that it's in my job description to make."

Then, as Auburn protected a seven-point lead in the final three minutes -- and everyone knew who was going to handle the football -- the offensive line opened enough holes for Newton to power his way to gains of 8, 3, 4 and 10 yards to run out the clock. That series, as much as the spectacular plays the Auburn offense is becoming known for, indicates the kind of potential this team has.

"I don't know what makes team chemistry," said Tigers coach Gene Chizik. "I only know that in my heart of hearts that we have it. I think that is how you play better in the fourth quarter."

That and a quarterback who is challenging what many people, including his own offensive coordinator, thought they knew about the game.

Contact Sports Editor Randy Kennedy at:

rkennedy@press-register.com
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."