Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Wheels coming off the Urban Express

JR4AU

Re: Wheels coming off the Urban Express
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2010, 07:27:17 PM »
There are some other factors that people forget outside of Meyer.  While I think Meyer is a good coach, I have wondered since Mullin left if he really was the brains behind the offensive genius he had been known for.  After this year, I think it has almost been confirmed, that it was Mullin and not Meyer that had the ability to adapt to the personal that they have.  See IMO the difference between a good coach and a great coach can be the ability to make things work with the hand he has been dealt.   

What I am wondering is WTF happened to their entire offseason?  How did they not know that these problems were going to be an issue, and not prepare for them.  The 8th week of the season is not the time to be trying new things and finding out who your QB is.

Bottom line...this about sums it up for Irving Myer and the Gatas.

JMHO, YMMV...

I think Meyer had every intention of revamping his passing game to fit "whatshisname".  I think one of two things happened...either he simply got cold feet and decided to make it work doing what he knows how to do, or when they tried doing it the new way, it didn't work as well, and they didn't have enough passing game experience to "fix" the problems, so they reverted back to what they know.   How ever you slice it, it aint working.  Why?  Is anybody's guess.  I suspect Meyer could tell you.  I don't think Mullen is any more genius than Meyer.  What's he really done with the offense at MSU to rate genius status?  I think he's good...but don't know if "genius" fits.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2010, 07:43:13 PM »
What's he really done with the offense at MSU to rate genius status?

Well, I would like to say that he has done just as much or more with MSU than anybody else has there, and this is just the beginning/building season. I would say that deserves some fine praise.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

auburnredwing

• The Resident Mexican
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2010, 08:55:55 PM »
why did urban recruit a traditional drop back qb, when the offense he was running was anything but that?  I remember his first year there at uf he had chris leak and he had to mold him in to a qb to fit his system, and then he recruited timmy who was the perfect qb for his system, now he has brantley who really doesn't mesh with the offensive system he was using in the past... I guess what I'm asking is why the change in offensive schemes if what they were doing in the past was working?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2010, 09:19:47 PM »
why did urban recruit a traditional drop back qb, when the offense he was running was anything but that?  I remember his first year there at uf he had chris leak and he had to mold him in to a qb to fit his system, and then he recruited timmy who was the perfect qb for his system, now he has brantley who really doesn't mesh with the offensive system he was using in the past... I guess what I'm asking is why the change in offensive schemes if what they were doing in the past was working?

Well actually, what makes this even worse on his part, while at Utah Meyer had Alex Smith which is more of a drop back passer. So, with that said this should be no shocker to anything Meyer has done previously. This is what makes the Florida situation more weird and the reason why some folks (GF, myself and few others) say that Mullen leaving to Miss St has way more of an impact than what many more thought originally. Meyer, I still think, is a great offensive mind but things apparently changed faster than he realized.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2010, 11:43:05 PM »
Well actually, what makes this even worse on his part, while at Utah Meyer had Alex Smith which is more of a drop back passer. So, with that said this should be no shocker to anything Meyer has done previously. This is what makes the Florida situation more weird and the reason why some folks (GF, myself and few others) say that Mullen leaving to Miss St has way more of an impact than what many more thought originally. Meyer, I still think, is a great offensive mind but things apparently changed faster than he realized.

Alex Smith was a good spread option QB that could throw. 

2003 Rushing: 149 Att.  452 Yds   3.0 YPC   
2004 Rushing: 135 Att.  631 Yds.  4.7 YPC    

Brantley has 35 Att. -52 Yds.  This season. 

Hell, even Leak managed positive yards with 77 Att. 30 yds in 2006...but they had Tebow who carried it in spot duty 89 times for 469 Yds. 

This is Meyer's first foray in to the world of the pure dropback passer.   As I said...he even had Leach in to consult on the passing game in the off season.  I think his failing was a true commitment to a passing game...a real high level, intricate, passing game.  And, as coaches will do, he's retreated back to what he knows best...the spread option. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

barkndog

• number one super guy
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2010, 10:12:50 AM »
I remember back when we promoted an offensive line coach to offensive coordinator... We had so much talent on the field but lost 5 games that year. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Silence is golden. Duck tape is silver.

djsimp

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2010, 01:10:10 PM »
And, as coaches will do, he's retreated back to what he knows best...the spread option.

Nice post. You know, at this point Meyer might as well bite the bullet and put #8(I forget his name) in and let him learn out the season. Can't hurt at this point.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2010, 09:31:54 PM »
I remember back when we promoted an offensive line coach to offensive coordinator... We had so much talent on the field but lost 5 games that year.

Just wait until Jeff Grimes takes over the O when Malzahn leaves.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2010, 10:18:43 AM »
Just wait until Jeff Grimes takes over the O when Malzahn leaves.

Great idea.  Hey, maybe co-coordinators.  Grimes and maybe...Rocker.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

djsimp

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2010, 10:27:15 AM »
Great idea.  Hey, maybe co-coordinators.  Grimes and maybe...Rocker.

We could call it the Grocker offense.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions