Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

XBox or PS3

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: XBox or PS3
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2008, 03:21:49 PM »
That shit is fun, man!  Unrealistic, but fun.  You ever tried Halo 3?  I'll put my sniping skills on that game up to yours on COD4 any day.    I'm all for any first person shooter game, however. 

What about the whole PS2 games on PS3's?  Adapters?  And when is the XBOX 360 going to have a Blue Ray adapter added on?  Any articles addressing it out there?

This is what we know...

Most of the XBOX games are backwards compatible on 360. 

General feeling is that there will be Blue Ray technology for the 360 by Christmas.  I personally feel like it will be a little after that but I have been told by multiple sources that it's in the works.  Most of my information comes from folks who actually work for XBOXLive.  They have never told me something and it not come to pass in regards to updates or anything else.

If you like FPS then you have done yourself a disservice by not discovering COD4.  By far the best first person shooter I have ever played.  Definitely  the next generation of game software.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2008, 03:33:01 PM »
This is what we know...

Most of the XBOX games are backwards compatible on 360. 

General feeling is that there will be Blue Ray technology for the 360 by Christmas.  I personally feel like it will be a little after that but I have been told by multiple sources that it's in the works.  Most of my information comes from folks who actually work for XBOXLive.  They have never told me something and it not come to pass in regards to updates or anything else.

If you like FPS then you have done yourself a disservice by not discovering COD4.  By far the best first person shooter I have ever played.  Definitely  the next generation of game software.

Friend Request accepted.

Looks like I'll be plugging my PS2 and PS3 into my new bad ass Samsung Receiver Surround Sound System.  I'm an impatient SOB and want to have BlueRay before Christmas.

No one on this board really has talked about BlueRay.  I understand that your TV has to have 1080p to utilize the full capabilities of a BlueRay.  Anybody experiencing it out there?  Is it worth the hype?  I'm expecting some bad ass picture and sound if I invest in one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2008, 03:38:54 PM »
Friend Request accepted.

Looks like I'll be plugging my PS2 and PS3 into my new bad ass Samsung Receiver Surround Sound System.  I'm an impatient SOB and want to have BlueRay before Christmas.

No one on this board really has talked about BlueRay.  I understand that your TV has to have 1080p to utilize the full capabilities of a BlueRay.  Anybody experiencing it out there?  Is it worth the hype?  I'm expecting some bad ass picture and sound if I invest in one.
It is alright, but you made a mistake buying a PS3.  X-Box live is amazing.  If I were you I'd wait.  It should come out in October or early November.  Not that long, especially if you buy COD4.  Time will fly. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2008, 03:43:53 PM »
Friend Request accepted.

Once again me personally, but I won't be running movies through any gaming system until I have more confidence in the long term ruggedness of players period.  Any player that is a disc format still has a limited life.  I am not going to shorten the life of the gaming system by playing blueray discs or vice versa. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2008, 02:50:43 AM »
Friend Request accepted.

The Blue Ray is worth every bit of the hype. The picture quality is amazing, and I have a 1080i tv so your set will perform even better. I have my Ps3 hooked up to my Bose Surround sound with a optical audio cable and the sound quality is out of this world. I bought Guitar Hero 3 for the Ps3 and playing it with surround sound is like playing a concert! I have 20 Blue Ray movies so far and one of the best has been Blazzing Saddles, I couldn't believe how good it looked.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

chinook

« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2008, 01:20:16 PM »
You're either a newlywed or a liar. 

no, i just haven't turned 40 yet.   ;)

kaos, you mentioned ebay scams on the ps3.  are the ps3s hard to find in the stores?   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Aubie16

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2008, 06:03:47 PM »
no, i just haven't turned 40 yet.   ;)

kaos, you mentioned ebay scams on the ps3.  are the ps3s hard to find in the stores?   

no...just the ones with the bigger hard drive that they apparently stopped making.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

Thrilla

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2008, 06:47:54 PM »
The Blue Ray is worth every bit of the hype. The picture quality is amazing, and I have a 1080i tv so your set will perform even better. I have my Ps3 hooked up to my Bose Surround sound with a optical audio cable and the sound quality is out of this world. I bought Guitar Hero 3 for the Ps3 and playing it with surround sound is like playing a concert! I have 20 Blue Ray movies so far and one of the best has been Blazzing Saddles, I couldn't believe how good it looked.

NIce.  I've been trying to figure out the whole optical cable vs. HDMI cables as well.  You can get some high quality HDMI cables but they are expensive ($100+) so I don't know if my untrained eye would even be able to see the difference btw. a cheaper HDMI cable and a higher end one.  If I buy an expensive one, it'll only be to run from my BlueRay to the surround sound receiver.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Aubie16

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2008, 06:51:29 PM »
NIce.  I've been trying to figure out the whole optical cable vs. HDMI cables as well.  You can get some high quality HDMI cables but they are expensive ($100+) so I don't know if my untrained eye would even be able to see the difference btw. a cheaper HDMI cable and a higher end one.  If I buy an expensive one, it'll only be to run from my BlueRay to the surround sound receiver.

www.monoprice.com

you really can't tell the difference between brands with hdmi unless the run is going to be longer than say 20-30 ft, which is rare.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

Thrilla

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2008, 10:49:10 AM »
www.monoprice.com

you really can't tell the difference between brands with hdmi unless the run is going to be longer than say 20-30 ft, which is rare.

It seems that the HDMI cables that came with my directv boxes are working fine.  The picture is clear and the surround sound blows my mind.  They are generic HDMI cables (probably very low end) but from the website you provided I found these:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240

and I'm frickin' lost as to what's good and what's not.  I want to purchase a better HDMI cable but I don't know what to look for when comparing high end cables to low end cables.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2008, 11:05:41 AM »
I've got both, and like the 360 better for games, since XBox Live totally kicks the PSN's ass.  The PS3 is my DVD Player of choice, though.  I bought GH3 for the PS3, thinking that I could play GH1 and GH rocks the 80s on it, but as someone said, the guitar doesn't work.  If you buy GH2 on the 360, you can download some of the GH1 songs, though.  I've not been on Xbox Live a lot lately, but when I start my new project in a few weeks, I'll be back out on the road, and I'll be grabbing CoD4.

Does anyone have a Wii, with Super Smash Brothers yet?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2008, 11:20:48 AM »
I've got both, and like the 360 better for games, since XBox Live totally kicks the PSN's ass.  The PS3 is my DVD Player of choice, though.  I bought GH3 for the PS3, thinking that I could play GH1 and GH rocks the 80s on it, but as someone said, the guitar doesn't work.  If you buy GH2 on the 360, you can download some of the GH1 songs, though.  I've not been on Xbox Live a lot lately, but when I start my new project in a few weeks, I'll be back out on the road, and I'll be grabbing CoD4.

Does anyone have a Wii, with Super Smash Brothers yet?
I my son got a Wii for Christmas, and I have thought intenesly about buying that.  Is it as good as advertised, and could I use my 6 year old as an excuse to buy it?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2008, 11:40:47 AM »
I've not been on Xbox Live a lot lately, but when I start my new project in a few weeks, I'll be back out on the road, and I'll be grabbing CoD4.

The new Rainbow 6 Vegas came out today as well so that is an option also.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2008, 11:51:04 AM »
Is it as good as advertised, and could I use my 6 year old as an excuse to buy it?

I will let you know tomorrow, I'm picking it up tonight on the way home.  And maybe Vegas2.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2008, 11:57:20 AM »
I will let you know tomorrow, I'm picking it up tonight on the way home.  And maybe Vegas2.
Thanks.  I just may get it this weekend subject to your review.
My son didn't like the Wii as much as I thought he would, and he just got a Nintendo DS for his birthday...so the Wii may officially be mine now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Thrilla

« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2008, 12:00:28 PM »
Thanks.  I just may get it this weekend subject to your review.
My son didn't like the Wii as much as I thought he would, and he just got a Nintendo DS for his birthday...so the Wii may officially be mine now.

As if that wasn't the original plan.

What kind of HDMI cables do you all run?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2008, 12:42:48 PM »
As if that wasn't the original plan.

What kind of HDMI cables do you all run?
Actually none yet.  I have it set up in my man cave using just the component cables that came with it.  I am waiting to get the Holy Grail of HDTV's sometime this year.  A Samsung 1080p with 120h refresh rate in either 46" or 52", depending on what I can afford at the time.
Then, I will have an excuse to order the Directv HD box and set it up right with HDMI cables and everything.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Thrilla

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2008, 01:42:39 PM »
Actually none yet.  I have it set up in my man cave using just the component cables that came with it.  I am waiting to get the Holy Grail of HDTV's sometime this year.  A Samsung 1080p with 120h refresh rate in either 46" or 52", depending on what I can afford at the time.
Then, I will have an excuse to order the Directv HD box and set it up right with HDMI cables and everything.

I have the similar setup-Samsung 1080P 40 " with Directv HD/DVR Box.  It blows Comcast out of the water IMO.  You'll love it.  I just don't know about these HDMI cables though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2008, 01:46:35 PM »
My TV doesn't have HDMI input, but it does have high def component input, so that's what I'm using.  I'm jealous of all you assclowns that have HDMI.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2008, 01:49:14 PM »
I just don't know about these HDMI cables though.

I think everyone who has posted or lurked on this forum for the last two days knows that you don't know about those HDMI cables.  Why don't you save yourself some typing and put that question in your signature?  Damn.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions