Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

XBox or PS3

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
XBox or PS3
« on: March 09, 2008, 01:26:30 PM »
Damn PlayStation.  I finally talked the wife into letting me get a PS3. And now I find out they've discontinued everything but the 40G which won't play any of the PS2 games I've accumulated over the years. No NCAA football.  None of the Guitar Heroes.  Jackasses.  I can't find a 60g or 80g anywhere except in some eBay scam.

So, as it looks like I'm going to have to start over anyway....(damn PlayStation bastards) should I go with the 40G PS3 and invoke the wrath of the wife when she finds out we can't play RockBand on it and will have to get another copy (but it will play BluRay discs) or should I go with the XBox and start over in general.

FYI, the impetus for getting the new machine is to avail ourselves of downloadable content for the RockBand and Guitar Hero games.  My wife is the drummer. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
Re: XBox or PS3
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 01:57:52 PM »
XBox plays HD-DVD's...which are now dead...so that chould probably factor in your decision. I am a play station man myself...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Aubie16

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 02:29:01 PM »
Mostly depends on what kind of games you will be playing as well as if you will use it for a Hi-Def movie player right away. I've heard that Microsoft is in "preliminary" talks about whether to sell a Blu-Ray add-on for the 360.

Rock Band and Guitar Hero are made for both series so that is sort of a wash.

I play mostly sports games and here is what I've heard about those:

NCAA and Madden play better and smoother on the 360 for now. I don't know much about basketball games on either one.  MLB The Show is without a doubt the best baseball game available and it is exclusive to the PS3.

I don't know if you have a home theater set-up but if you do, one downside to the PS3 is that it operates on bluetooth, so a regular universal remote (like the Harmony remote that I use to control my TV, Surround Sound, Cable Box, and 360) won't work on it.

I have a 360 and have been pleased with it. At the time I bought the 360, the PS3 had just come out and didn't have near the selection of the 360. (I still don't think it has caught up.) It was also 200 dollars more and wasn't worth it to me at the time.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 02:30:28 PM by Aubie16 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 03:08:59 PM »
Damn PlayStation.  I finally talked the wife into letting me get a PS3. And now I find out they've discontinued everything but the 40G which won't play any of the PS2 games I've accumulated over the years. No NCAA football.  None of the Guitar Heroes.  Jackasses.  I can't find a 60g or 80g anywhere except in some eBay scam.

So, as it looks like I'm going to have to start over anyway....(damn PlayStation bastards) should I go with the 40G PS3 and invoke the wrath of the wife when she finds out we can't play RockBand on it and will have to get another copy (but it will play BluRay discs) or should I go with the XBox and start over in general.

FYI, the impetus for getting the new machine is to avail ourselves of downloadable content for the RockBand and Guitar Hero games.  My wife is the drummer. 
Wow so the 500 dollar 80g I bought is now gone, I told my wife that if we got the 80 gig we could still play all 4 of the Guitar Hero games that we had for the Ps2, well I was wrong the games will play on the Ps3 but neither guitars work:( The guitar hero for the Ps3 is freaking great, especially when I hooked it up to the Bose surround sound, it like Im at a concert. The blue ray player is the reason I bought the ps3 and it kicks ass!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 05:11:00 PM »
Wow so the 500 dollar 80g I bought is now gone, I told my wife that if we got the 80 gig we could still play all 4 of the Guitar Hero games that we had for the Ps2, well I was wrong the games will play on the Ps3 but neither guitars work:( The guitar hero for the Ps3 is freaking great, especially when I hooked it up to the Bose surround sound, it like Im at a concert. The blue ray player is the reason I bought the ps3 and it kicks ass!

There's an adaptor you can get that will allow the guitars to work. 

So you're telling me that I should fuck around on eBay and get one of these 80G PS3's that are still floating around there?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 01:49:36 AM »
The adapter has a lag problem, and that would make playing the game impossible.
I would rather have the 40g Ps3 over the X-Box for the Blue Ray player!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 08:09:49 AM »

I have a 360 and really like it. 

The online community from 360 is also very good.  Since the 360 is Microsoft two things you know is, it isn't going anywhere anytime soon and it is fully integrated with the rest of Microsofts products.  ie.  Windows from you PC, Zune.

I never saw it not having a blue ray player as a big deal because I don't play movies through my game system. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 10:03:03 AM »
I got the Xbox back when bluray and HD-DVD's were going head to head...looks like I made the wrong choice ....stick with the PS3...even if you do have to start over on the games. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 11:20:21 AM »
Blue Ray...Who cares?  First, they supposed to be coming out with a Blue ray adapter for the 360.  Second, X-box live is so much better than the PS3 online crap.  If you haven't played it, I strongly recommend Call of Duty 4. 

Howard, Whats your tag on X-Box live?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 11:22:41 AM »
Blue Ray...Who cares?  First, they supposed to be coming out with a Blue ray adapter for the 360.  Second, X-box live is so much better than the PS3 online crap.  If you haven't played it, I strongly recommend Call of Duty 4. 

Howard, Whats your tag on X-Box live?

Same as here.  I didn't realize that you were on 360.  What is yours?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 11:32:45 AM »
Same as here.  I didn't realize that you were on 360.  What is yours?
AWK1983, I play call of duty 4 like it is going out of style...and it will probably be the reason I fail out of Law School.  Oh well, fuck it.  Do you own COD4?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 11:36:58 AM »
AWK1983, I play call of duty 4 like it is going out of style...and it will probably be the reason I fail out of Law School.  Oh well, fuck it.  Do you own COD4?

Friend request pending.  Had COD4 since it's been out.  Damn game is like crack cocaine. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 11:42:05 AM »
Friend request pending.  Had COD4 since it's been out.  Damn game is like crack cocaine. 
We play with a bunch of our friends from school who, all bought an X-Box just for that game.  Sadly enough, I am pretty damn good.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 11:49:40 AM »
We play with a bunch of our friends from school who, all bought an X-Box just for that game.  Sadly enough, I am pretty damn good.

My kill counts are usually only 8-12 but my deaths is usually 2-3.  In the end I don't cost the team any points.  Some of those folks take that shit WAY too seriously!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 11:58:09 AM »
My kill counts are usually only 8-12 but my deaths is usually 2-3.  In the end I don't cost the team any points.  Some of those folks take that shit WAY too seriously!
My kills range from 15 - 25, and my deaths are usually in the lower teens.  You camp/snipe alot?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 01:01:42 PM »
My kills range from 15 - 25, and my deaths are usually in the lower teens.  You camp/snipe alot?

Snipe alot.  Go with what you are good at.  never been good at running and gunning anyway.  Actually have gotten into playing ground war a lot since it rotates what you play from deathmatch to headquarters and domination.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 02:36:49 PM »
Snipe alot.  Go with what you are good at.  never been good at running and gunning anyway.  Actually have gotten into playing ground war a lot since it rotates what you play from deathmatch to headquarters and domination.
Since we usually have a group, we play Team Deathmatch, Hardcore team deathmatch, and Hardcore Search and destroy.  I am a big time runner and gunner, but I have recently been trying to snipe.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 02:42:30 PM »
Since we usually have a group, we play Team Deathmatch, Hardcore team deathmatch, and Hardcore Search and destroy.  I am a big time runner and gunner, but I have recently been trying to snipe.

If you are used to getting that many kills then you probably are never gonna completely like sniping.  I have found with most of the people that I game with it works well to have both types of folks on the team.  You need the gunners to keep the other team moving around and having the snipers that don't mind their kill count being low, see a lot shit that the runner/gunners do not and actually can spot a lot.  Obviously depends on the map as to how good the sniping is though.

I guess old military habits die hard.  At the end of the match I feel like if I died the least of anyone else then I am better.  I can't ever get out of my head that you don't come from dead.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 02:46:58 PM »
Thats a good thing though.  That is why most of the good players do search and destroy.  You die once and do not respawn until the next round, it is more realistic.   I had 17 - 0 game yesterday, I love it when I have to pick up two or three more primary weapons because I run out of ammo on my AK and desert eagle. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 02:51:27 PM »
Thats a good thing though.  That is why most of the good players do search and destroy.  You die once and do not respawn until the next round, it is more realistic.   I had 17 - 0 game yesterday, I love it when I have to pick up two or three more primary weapons because I run out of ammo on my AK and desert eagle. 

See I think the highest kill game I have ever had was about 17 or 18.  Remind me to be on your team.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions