Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

New Orleans recipes

boartitz

New Orleans recipes
« on: May 26, 2010, 10:18:20 AM »
On the left, partways down. Bunch of good stuff here.
http://www.nola.com/food/
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Re: New Orleans recipes
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 03:23:30 PM »
Did not go to NOLA.com to look, but I will save y'all the trouble...

BEST CRAWFISH RECIPE EVER - Uses real butter and cream, and is not for the cholesterol challenged - but I would arm wrestle Jumbo for the last bowl.  And win.  

If you don't have crawfish available in your area, it works well with shrimp or crabmeat.  They also suggest oysters, but i am not too sure about that because of the consistency of an oyster.

CRAWFISH MONICA

1 lb. crawfish tails, boiled & peeled; OR  1 lb. shrimp, peeled; OR 1 lb. lump crabmeat; OR 1 lb. oysters, drained & quartered.

1 stick butter (Do not use margarine.)
1 pint half-and-half (Look, relax.  Just don't eat this every day..)
1good-sized bunch green onions, chopped (tops, too)
3 - 10   cloves garlic, chopped (to your taste)
1-2 tbs  Creole Seasoning (Tony Chachere's or Paul Prudhomme's)
1 lb. cooked pasta (Rotelli is preferred)

Cook pasta according to the directions on the package.  Drain, then rinse under cool water.  Drain again, thoroughly.

Melt the butter in a large pot and saute onions and garlic for 3 minutes.  Add the seafood and saute for 2 minutes.  Add the  half-and-half, then add several big pinches of Creole seasoning, tasting before the next pinch until you think it's right.

Cook for 5 - 10 minutes over medium heat until the sauce thickens.  Add the pasta and toss well.  Let it sit for 10 minutes or so over very low heat, stirring often.  Serve immediately, with lots of French bread and a nice dry white wine.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 04:08:50 PM »
Did not go to NOLA.com to look, but I will save y'all the trouble...
You was the mainest one I was thinking of when I posted the link.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 06:44:58 PM »
Thanks TigerWrench.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 11:49:01 PM »
You was the mainest one I was thinking of when I posted the link.
**blows kisses**

Crawfish Monica ensures my personal trainer gets a weekly paycheck.  I swear I could eat that stuff by the potful.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 12:15:36 AM »
Here's another one for you guys that think it is not hot enough until your nose hairs are on fire and it hurts to pee.

Funny story about this one.  Y'all know I married into a Louisiana family, and all of them started out with cayenne pepper in their mashed peas, so they have no issues with spicy hot food.  Chicken Big Mamou is my favorite non-seafood Cajun dish, and my brother in law always makes it for me for my birthday.  One year, we sat down to eat and I took a huge bite.  It was good... for about three seconds... and then my eyes started to water and my throat was numb with pain.  But to show weakness to heat at that family table is to invite serious ridicule, so I choked it down.  I got about halfway through the plate - and I was dying.  Incredible pain.  But I said NOTHING.  I toughed it out.  Until I noticed that the entire table was quiet.  I looked at B-I-L and his face was red and he was sweating bullets.  He has had two heart attacks, so I asked him if he was okay.  He said he was fine, that maybe the mamou was a bit hot.  My sister in law goes "Yeah, maybe a bit..." and Carl nods his head and doesn't speak... and then B-I-L admits that he thinks he added the cayenne three times instead of just twice... I threw down my fork and gasped "OH THANK GOD!!!"

So all I can say is... taste, taste and taste again before adding any extra cayenne.  Cayenne is a delayed reaction.  The white pepper and Tabasco will sneak up on you too if you aren't careful.  Remember that each person can always add their own seasoning at the table... :devil:

Very labor intensive dish to prepare but SO DAMN WORTH IT.  And it is even better the next day after it has been refrigerated overnight and everything has a chance to blend...  Can also be frozen and reheated very well. The recipe calls for spaghetti but angel hair is better.

Chicken Big Mamou On Pasta - Paul Prudhomme

Ingredients

1/2 Pounds Fresh spaghetti (1 lb dry);

----seasoning mix---
2    Teaspoons Dried thyme leaves
3/4    Teaspoon Black pepper
1 1/4    Teaspoons Ground cayenne pepper
1/2 ts Dried sweet basil leaves
1 ts White pepper;

----sauce-----
1 lb Unsalted butter
2 tb Worcestershire sauce
1 tb Tabasco sauce + 1 teaspoon
1 c Onions; chopped very fine (VERY IMPORTANT FOR PROPER SAUCE CONSISTENCY)
2 cn Tomato sauce (16 oz)
4 Med. garlic cloves; peeled
2 tb Sugar
2 ts Minced garlic
2 c  Green onions; chopped very fine (VERY IMPORTANT FOR PROPER SAUCE CONSISTENCY)
3 1/4 c  Rich chicken stock (see note;

----chicken seasoning
1 1/2 tb Salt
1 ts Black pepper
1 1/2 ts White pepper
1 ts Cumin (optional)
1 1/2 ts Garlic powder
1/2 ts Dried sweet basil leaves
1 1/4 ts Ground cayenne pepper

2 lb Boneless chicken (see notes)

Instructions

NOTE: To make a Rich Chicken Stock strain the basic stock, then continue simmering it until evaporation reduces the liquid by half. For example, if the recipe calls for 1 cup Rich Stock, start it with at least 2 cups of strained basic stock. Use dark meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes.

Thoroughly combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. In a 4-quart saucepan, combine 1-1/2 sticks of the butter, the onions and garlic cloves; saute over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the minced garlic and seasoning mix; continue cooking over medium heat until onions are dark brown, but not burned, about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring often. Add 2-1/2 cups of the stock, the Worcestershire and Tabasco; bring to a fast simmer and cook about 8 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the tomato sauce and bring mixture to a boil. Then stir in the sugar and 1 cup of the green onions; gently simmer uncovered about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Combine the ingredients of the chicken seasoning mix in a small bowl; mix well. Sprinkle over the chicken, rubbing it in with your hands. In a large skillet melt 1-1/2 sticks of the butter over medium heat. Add the remaining 1 cup green onions and saute over high heat about 3 minutes. Add the chicken and continue cooking 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

When the tomato sauce has simmered about 40 minutes, stir in the chicken mixture and heat through.

Serve over pasta.

From Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 12:19:40 AM »

1 stick butter (Do not use margarine.)

Margarine?  People actually use that shit?   :)

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Tiger Wench

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 12:20:48 AM »
Margarine?  People actually use that shit?   :)
That was for the bammers... I don't know if food stamps cover real butter, but for this they should make an exception and forgo the cigarette to pay with folding money.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 09:44:10 PM »

I love country cooking as much as the next person. And the luckiest of us grew up eating pies, cakes and cobblers which we have fond memories of from our Grandmother or Mom's kitchens. I was in my twenties before my Mother took me seriously as a student of her kitchen, and until her last I would ask for tips concerning consistency mostly from her little of this, tad of that methods. I love creating; sometimes from scratch and other times by just tweaking another recipe and ran into a dessert way late in my years because it truly is an uncommon delight. I have made a fruity, quick style version of Louisiana bread pudding and it will do although it is inferior by my standards. Then I ran into this little jewel by Emeril and all I can say is DAMN!  I was always told that this was difficult to do well but not this time. I got a blueprint like Satan do.                

It's really too easy to taste this good. Enjoy!

New Orleans Style Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse,originally appearing in Emeril's Potluck, HarperCollins Publishers, New York, 2004

Show: Emeril LiveEpisode: New Orleans Classics

Rated: 5 stars out of 5Rate itRead users' reviews (27)
RECIPE COMMENTS & REVIEWS(27) Cook Time:1 hr 0 min
Level: Easy
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
CloseTimes:Prep10 min Inactive Prep45 min Cook1 hr 0 min Total:1 hr 55 min Recipe Tools:
Print Recipe
Get Card
Save Recipe
xSelect a Card Size
CARD3x5 card CARD4x6 card xAdd To My Recipe Box
Add To
  Select Folder: All My Recipes  Or Create New Folder

Please limit to 20 characters

Adding Recipe

Add Or Do Not Add

Success

This recipe was added to your Folder_Name folder.

Do not show this message again

Close
xAdd To My Recipe Box
Please sign in to add this recipe to your Recipe Box.

Sign In or Create your Recipe Box

Ingredients
12 to 14 cups 1-inch cubes day-old white bread, such as French or Italian
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 cups heavy cream
4 cups whole milk
6 large eggs
1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
4 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins
Confectioners' sugar, for garnish
1 recipe Whiskey Sauce, recipe follows
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the bread in a large bowl. Grease a 9 by 13-inch casserole dish with the remaining tablespoon of butter and set aside.

Combine the heavy cream, milk, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and raisins in a large bowl. Whisk to mix. Pour the cream mixture over the bread, and stir to combine. Allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes.

Transfer the bread mixture to the casserole dish and bake until the center of the bread pudding is set, 50 to 60 minutes.

Garnish the bread pudding with confectioners' sugar and serve warm with warm Whiskey Sauce.

Whiskey Sauce:

2 cups heavy cream

1/2 cup whole milk

1/2 cup granulated white sugar

2 tablespoons cornstarch

3/4 cup bourbon or other whiskey

Pinch salt

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

In a 1-quart saucepan set over medium heat, combine the cream, milk, and sugar. Place the cornstarch and 1/4 cup of the bourbon in a small mixing bowl and whisk to blend and make a slurry. Pour the slurry into the cream mixture and bring to a boil. Once the sauce begins to boil, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Remove the sauce from the heat, add the salt, and stir in the butter and the remaining 1/2 cup of bourbon. Serve warm.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 09:45:21 PM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 12:44:41 AM »
That was for the bammers... I don't know if food stamps cover real butter, but for this they should make an exception and forgo the cigarette to pay with folding money.

:rofl:

I <3 You!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 07:11:20 AM »
Mahony's Roast Beef poboy

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions