Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

So, if you were considering a move to Birmingham....

So, if you were considering a move to Birmingham....
« on: March 07, 2008, 09:03:27 AM »
, and were a single 32 y/o, and had to work primarily on the Northeast side of town (for the few days I'd actually work IN Birmingham), had a moderate income (let's just say over 50K).....

Where would you guys (or gals) suggest?

Things are not well with the fiance, and I might be making a move for work, and now unfortunately because life here in Montgomery is about to change...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
Re: So, if you were considering a move to Birmingham....
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 09:27:24 AM »
, and were a single 32 y/o, and had to work primarily on the Northeast side of town (for the few days I'd actually work IN Birmingham), had a moderate income (let's just say over 50K).....

Where would you guys (or gals) suggest?

Things are not well with the fiance, and I might be making a move for work, and now unfortunately because life here in Montgomery is about to change...

Depends on what you are looking for really. Are you looking for a house or an apartment? If you want to be in the middle of things, my brother loved living in his apartment in Inverness. He works in Trussville and the drive isn't too bad from there. If you are going to buy a house, you may have to move out further. I had a house before you got to Chelsea (out Highway 280) when I lived in Birmingham and the drive out to Trussville wasn't bad because you could go a bac way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 09:37:48 AM »
Apartment first probably.   Not familiar with Inverness....  I'll have to look at that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 10:10:29 AM »
Apartment first probably.   Not familiar with Inverness....  I'll have to look at that.

If you have to travel anywhere during what is considered normal rush hours stay the hell away from Inverness.  It is in the middle of the 280  quagmire.  i lived there and really liked it but I was in front of the morning traffic and after the evening rush so the traffic wasn't a factor.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:20:11 AM »
If you have to travel anywhere during what is considered normal rush hours stay the hell away from Inverness.  It is in the middle of the 280  quagmire.  i lived there and really liked it but I was in front of the morning traffic and after the evening rush so the traffic wasn't a factor.

I was looking at the Fultondale, Gardendale areas....   Our regional warehouse is located in Tarrant City by the Airport.   There is a back way to get from Fultondale to Pinson Valley Rd that keeps me off the interstate if necessary, other than that, I'm usually out of town well before the traffic starts to hit.

Keep the suggestions coming though..
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 10:25:22 AM »
oops...I ddn't mean Inverness...I meant Homewood. Brain fart...

My brother lived in Wild Forest Apartments and really liked it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 11:11:05 AM »
oops...I ddn't mean Inverness...I meant Homewood. Brain fart...

My brother lived in Wild Forest Apartments and really liked it.

Read up on Wildforest Apts.   Would be interested in some info, but from what I'm reading, sounds more like a Samford student living dealio than anything.  Not sure if I want to be that up close and personal with the college age crowd.  The ladies are nice, but I don't need the frat-tastic crowd in the apartment above....   :big:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 12:26:36 PM »
Read up on Wildforest Apts.   Would be interested in some info, but from what I'm reading, sounds more like a Samford student living dealio than anything.  Not sure if I want to be that up close and personal with the college age crowd.  The ladies are nice, but I don't need the frat-tastic crowd in the apartment above....   :big:
I live in a condo place right next to Wildforest, its pretty nice.  What do you want to know?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 01:21:37 PM »
I live in a condo place right next to Wildforest, its pretty nice.  What do you want to know?

Well, let's compare living expenses at the moment...  Here in the gump, for a 3 bedroom house and utilities (+cable, fax line, internet)...  I'm paying about 1400 a month...

Can I live in B'ham in a 2 bedroom + apartment for the same?  Keep in mind, I'm only interested in renting for now...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 02:41:00 PM »

Can I live in B'ham in a 2 bedroom + apartment for the same?  Keep in mind, I'm only interested in renting for now...

Easily. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 03:10:19 PM »
I just moved out of Wildforest...about 65% samford students and the rest young professionals!  VERY hot girls.  I loved it there, but im 28 and figured it was about time to buy a house!  I was kind of like you though...wanted to be in the middle of everything, and worked in Trussville (northeast side).  Anyway, if you are looking for a good spot I liked it.   Also, might want to try the summit apartments.  I think the majority is single professionals.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 08:50:52 PM »
I was looking at the Fultondale, Gardendale areas....   Our regional warehouse is located in Tarrant City by the Airport.   There is a back way to get from Fultondale to Pinson Valley Rd that keeps me off the interstate if necessary, other than that, I'm usually out of town well before the traffic starts to hit.

Keep the suggestions coming though..
I live in Gardendale and I love its only about 9 miles to downtown, traffic's not bad at all and 3 miles from a Best Buy :clap:, There are brand new apartments about a 1/10th of a mile from the interstate, pm me if you want to buy a house, I know a great real estate agent. With your budget you can get a nice house(brand new!) in Fultondale or Gardendale. I hope my imput helps, I'm sorry to hear about the problems with your fiance.
here is a link to HighGate Apts, 4br 2 bath $767 damnhttp://www.forrent.com/apartment-community-profile/1000010931.php
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 08:52:52 PM by jumbo »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Jumbo

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 12:12:47 AM »
Keep in mind, I'm only interested in renting for now... 
sorry I cant read worth a shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 10:00:15 PM »
sorry I cant read worth a shit.

It's cool man, I still took a look at the link you sent.  Led me to looking for a few other places as well.  We'll see what happens.  I haven't split with her yet, and when you're living in the same house with a kid, it's going to be a very touchy and slow process.  It's not going to be a fun next couple weeks for the ol' Chopper here, but you've got to do what you've got to do, and I'm not a happy camper in my current situation..

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 10:51:24 PM »
It's cool man, I still took a look at the link you sent.  Led me to looking for a few other places as well.  We'll see what happens.  I haven't split with her yet, and when you're living in the same house with a kid, it's going to be a very touchy and slow process.  It's not going to be a fun next couple weeks for the ol' Chopper here, but you've got to do what you've got to do, and I'm not a happy camper in my current situation..

I hear ya man, let me know if you need anything.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 12:14:13 AM »

Better now than if you were married....

Good luck...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 11:33:55 AM »
I am apartment shopping as well.  Regarding Wildforest, there is a 4 month waiting list.  Period.  (The lady was quite stern on this point).  There are two places right next to each other.  Wildforest is 13 years old.  Wildridge is 6 years old.  The floor plans are exactly the same.  In Wildridge, more utilities are included in the rent price, and it is a tad more expensive.  You can spend between approx $700 and $950 depending on what you want to get.  They have 1, 2, and 3 B/Rs.  Nice patios.  It is all young people, so you'd have to put up with thier lifestyle.  Unless youre still a kid at heart, or you want to oogle coeds, i would probably suggest somewhere else.    There are all sorts of houses and condos for rent in the Homewood/Mountain Brook area (if you like Wildforest's location) that you can find for roughly the same price you are paying now, you just have to look around.  There is a lot of stuff on craigslist.  you can check there.  http://bham.craigslist.org/apa/
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded."

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 11:36:19 AM »
I am apartment shopping as well.  Regarding Wildforest, there is a 4 month waiting list.  Period.  (The lady was quite stern on this point).  There are two places right next to each other.  Wildforest is 13 years old.  Wildridge is 6 years old.  The floor plans are exactly the same.  In Wildridge, more utilities are included in the rent price, and it is a tad more expensive.  You can spend between approx $700 and $950 depending on what you want to get.  They have 1, 2, and 3 B/Rs.  Nice patios.  It is all young people, so you'd have to put up with thier lifestyle.  Unless youre still a kid at heart, or you want to oogle coeds, i would probably suggest somewhere else.    There are all sorts of houses and condos for rent in the Homewood/Mountain Brook area (if you like Wildforest's location) that you can find for roughly the same price you are paying now, you just have to look around.  There is a lot of stuff on craigslist.  you can check there.  http://bham.craigslist.org/apa/

Good to know.  thanks!   I'll be looking up there hopefully by the end of this week, or early next week.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 11:39:04 AM »
MGLKSAU's housing criteria:
1. Women to eye fuck
2. Pool with children playing
3. Not within 500 feet of a school zone.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 01:39:20 PM »
MGLKSAU's housing criteria:
1. Women to eye fuck
2. Pool with children playing
3. Not within 500 feet of a school zone.

AWK's Housing Critera:
1. Convenient crack dealers
2. Lots of discarded and/or used hypodermic  needles laying around
3. Plentiful supply of stray cats
4. A crazy bitch co-habitant who steals license plates and cusses out cops...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded."