Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

It's MIKE Dyer. Not Michael. Start Learning It.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
It's MIKE Dyer. Not Michael. Start Learning It.
« on: September 08, 2010, 09:53:04 AM »
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/09/mike_dyer_auburn_newest_tailba.html

Mike Dyer: Auburn newest tailback beginning to make a name for himself
Published: Wednesday, September 08, 2010, 8:15 AM 
Charles Goldberg -- The Birmingham News

AUBURN -- Michael Dyer, who signed on at Auburn when he was the No. 1 high school running back in the nation, is no more.

He's "Mike'' Dyer now, per his request, and he started making a name for himself in his college debut last Saturday. He rushed for 95 yards and got more carries than he thought he would in last Saturday's 52-26 win over Arkansas State. He has won the trust of his coaches moving to Thursday night's game at Mississippi State.

"I thought I was going to get in and get a few carries and trying to figure out the differences coming from high school to college,'' Dyer said. "A couple things happened with the game situation and they put me in more than I expected.''

One thing that happened was No. 1 tailback Mario Fannin fumbled on his third carry, and running backs coach Curtis Luper held Fannin out of the next series because of it. Fannin didn't get another carry the rest of the game, though the Tigers had no trouble watching him make the second of his two touchdown catches after the miscue.

Fannin had only two carries in the first half and a quick one in the third quarter.

"I don't think I would necessarily read anything into that at all,'' said coach Gene Chizik.

Luper said it was "no coincidence'' Fannin didn't immediately return after the fumble. But Luper said Fannin was in line to get more carries later but "we had the game well in hand. If it was a close game, it may have been different. But we definitely need him to win.''

Fannin, then, will be fresh for the Tigers' SEC opener in Starkville, the next stop in 11 straight weeks of football. The fumble won Fannin an early exit, but the lack of carries the rest of the way may have been in the plan, anyway, considering he had so little work in the first half.

"We only had three running backs in camp, so we couldn't do a lot with them just because we wanted to get them to the games,'' Luper said. "Generally, you have four, maybe five backs. We only three, so we had to really take care of them physically.''

It was a different kind of opening for the running game. Quarterback Cam Newton had more carries and more rushing yards than any of the tailbacks. With Fannin being rested, and reprimanded for the fumble, Dyer, the No. 3 tailback, led Auburn with 14 carries and those 95 yards.

"If I known he had 95, I would have gotten him five more yards,'' Luper said.

No. 2 tailback Onterio McCalebb, who had 65 of his 76 yards in the first half. Fannin finished with 14 rushing yards.

Fannin had three fumbles early in his career that earned him bench time. But he had only two fumbles the last two years, and shrugged off the fact he only had three carries in the opener. He said he wasn't sure if the fumble was the reason.

"I don't know. Probably could have been. Probably wasn't. I have no clue,'' Fannin said.

He'll be an integral part of Auburn's offense no matter what, considering he had the second most receptions last year when he was the H-back, and already has four catches for 65 yards and those two TDs this year.

"Mario had some great catches out of the backfield,'' Chizik said. "He is a very extremely talented athlete.

"Then, the young guys got a chance to run the football, and we mixed it up pretty good with those guys.''

Chizik praised Dyer for his ball security during his weekly press conference Monday and again during his his weekly Tiger Talk radio call-in show Tuesday night.

"As we went back and reevaluated the film, Michael did a lot of nice job for us,'' Chizik said. "He really ran well, and we anticipate really getting him in the offense. As time goes on, with more experience, we think he'll be a good back."

Dyer said Arkansas State defenders made it difficult by ripping and clawing at the ball.

"Every play, they were trying to get it regardless if we were on the ground of not,'' he said. "They were trying to pull for it. We've worked on ball control and trying to control it and lowering your shoulders to keep from fumbling.

"I didn't fumble much in high school. I'm 5-9. I'm short for a running back. It's easy for me to stay low to the ground. That's probably one of my good qualities.''

Fannin said there's plenty of time for him to run.

"Sure, the carries, they weren't big. But at the same time, it was the first game,'' Fannin said. "You've just got to keep working and just stay humble, and at the end it will work out for you. That's something my mom has told me and I've grown to learn that the humble person is the one that comes out in the end. So you've just got to sit back and just let the coaches do their jobs and just keep pressing forward.''
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
Re: It's MIKE Dyer. Not Michael. Start Learning It.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 09:59:21 AM »
I hope that Fanin's confidence stays strong. If something like fumbling gets in your head, you can let it consume you and then worry about it way too much. I hope he doesn't focus too much on "not fumbling"...

With only 3 RB's, we are going to need all of them healthy and playing god football...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 10:01:47 AM »
We roll five deep at that position.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

JR4AU

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 10:24:22 AM »

None of them is a do-all/every down, 'tween the tackles AND breakaway speed guy.  We really need them all to be complete. Fannin COULD be, but not if he has the dropsies.  Dyer shows great promise, but alas, is young.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 10:39:04 AM »
None of them is a do-all/every down, 'tween the tackles AND breakaway speed guy.  We really need them all to be complete. Fannin COULD be, but not if he has the dropsies.  Dyer shows great promise, but alas, is young.

Apparently the joke is lost.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 10:40:29 AM »

I thought I heard something.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

JR4AU

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 10:41:49 AM »

sorry, I was distracted.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 10:52:19 AM »
His mama calls him Michael.  I'm gonna' call him Michael.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »

You talkin' about Miss Dyah's boy? Yeah, she call him Michael.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 11:08:25 AM »

I knew that was coming.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 11:15:15 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 11:23:50 AM »
she said

Like a fast little muscle. :rimshot:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 11:53:12 AM »

I wish we had a golf clap smiley I would use it here.

:golfclap:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 12:41:54 PM »
Woo Pig :thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.