Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

"Enjoy It, But Don't Be Satisfied"

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
"Enjoy It, But Don't Be Satisfied"
« on: September 06, 2010, 10:52:15 PM »
This al.com blog post pretty much echoes my thoughts exactly.

Good read.

http://blog.al.com/tigerscorner/2010/09/enjoy_it_but_dont_be_satisfied.html

Enjoy It, But Don't Be Satisfied
Published: Monday, September 06, 2010, 4:01 PM
Kurt Branch

In last Saturday's 52-26 win over the Arkansas State Red Wolves, there were definitely more positives than negatives to talk about when all was said and done. The offense had a few miscues that were overshadowed by the huge performance by quarterback Cam Newton. The defense, playing without starting linebacker, Craig Stevens, played with a "bend but don't break" style for most of the game, and definitely showed improvement in their tackling. The special teams were nearly flawless, especially in kick coverage. As a whole, the performance wasn't close to perfect, but it definitely showed what Auburn is capable of, and what they can fix in the quick week before going to Starkville to play Mississippi State this Thursday.

The Cammy-man Can. What can you say about the Auburn offense without mentioning Cam Newton? That's a dumb question...nothing. As we all know by now, Newton threw for 186 yards and three touchdowns, and ran for 171 yards and two touchdowns. The 171 yards is a new Auburn record for rushing yards by a quarterback.

Note: These stats were not strong to earn a single mention on ESPN's Gameday Final, even with a chance for the channel to promote their broadcast of the Auburn-Mississippi State game on Thursday. Maybe Newton can throw for 400 yards and rush for 300 more this week and get his name across the ticker. Auburn fans can only hope.

Newton showed extreme poise in the pocket, thanks to the offensive line, who gave him all the time in the world. Cam was only sacked one time, late in the third quarter, in what the people who know what they are talking about call a "coverage sack".

Three-headed monster. As I predicted in my Arkansas State Preview, the running back attack wasn't a one-man show. It wasn't even the Mario show, who was supposedly the starter. With Malzahn's offense, the play determines what guy will be back there, so even though Mario Fannin was named the starter, Onterrio McCalebb played the entire first series. Mario did score two touchdowns, but they were both receiving scores. In fact, walk-on Davis Hooper had more carries than Fannin, who only had three, in mop-up duty.

Michael Dyer showed that he's going to be really, really good, and could even be the starter by the end of the season. The freshman had 95 yards and one touchdown, and was a step away on two different occasions, from breaking 60+ yard touchdown runs. I wouldn't be surprised if Mario continues to be used as a receiving threat out of the backfield, which is obviously is strength, leaving Dyer and McCalebb to share the load of running plays.

Not as bad as it looked. Sure the defense gave up 323 passing yards and 26 points to what will probably end up being an upper-tier Sun Belt team, but it wasn't near as bad as what I've heard most Auburn fans claim. The quick, spread-style, down the line pass is indefensible. As long as the quarterback gets the ball to the receiver quickly, there is no way to stop it. The corner can not get to the receiver, especially when the assumption is that the receiver is going to run downfield, to break up the pass. That is what makes the spread so effective. You get the ball out into space and set up one on one matchups.

However, although the Auburn defense did a much better job of tackling, the soft coverage by the corners allowed the receiver to make the catch and get five-or-so yards before the defender had the chance to make the tackle. That's something that can be fixed quickly when playing against a spread offense. Move the corners up to the line, and if the guy catches the ball, tackle him right then and there.

Minus the short-field touchdown at the start of the 2nd half, the defense only gave up 17 real points in their first game, playing without a starter. Not to mention they only gave up 43 rushing yards on 35 attempts.

Plus, I've heard Chizik say a few times that they were playing a guessing game on some of the formations because Arkansas State had a new offensive coordinator. Some would say that is an excuse, but Gene Chizik is about as Pat Dye as they come. He doesn't make excuses.

We'll be ok...just breathe.

Special Teams ARE special. If Saturday's performance was any indication of where the Tigers' special teams are headed for the rest of the season, I think we're looking at a pretty special year. Pun intended.

Kickoffs were pretty deep, although I'm not sure why Byrum, who kicked the opening kickoff into the endzone, was replaced by Matt Parkey, who kicked most of his around the 5-yard line. Punts were high, and semi-long. Kickoff and punt coverage was 10000% better than last year. Byrum made his one field goal attempt. All in all it was a pretty good day for Special Teams coordinator Jay Boulware, who probably didn't sleep well all last season.

There was the fumble by Demond Washington on the kickoff return to start off the second half, but that's not special teams. A guy grabbed at the ball as Washington ran by, and it shot out of his hand as his arm came forward.

Enjoy it, but don't be satisfied. Those were Gene Chizik's words to the players after the game, and I think he would extend that to the Auburn Family as well. We can be happy with the win, and we should enjoy the win, but we have a long season ahead of us. We can look at the good and the bad, but don't dwell on either. Each week is a chance for the team to get better, and I don't think any Auburn fan should think that Chizik and his staff are incapable of making that happen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions