Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Will Collier Writes....

Will Collier Writes....
« on: September 06, 2010, 09:38:09 PM »
That said, it's not like the Red Wolves were either moving or scoring at will. The visitors only converted five of 18 third downs, and even while carrying the time of possession by nearly 10 minutes of game time, they were still soundly outgained, and much more importantly, doubled up on the scoreboard by the Tigers.

But the glass-half-empty default setting of most Auburn fans was already on display opening night. Fifty-two points and north of 600 yards of offense weren't enough; giving up an early lead and a lot of yardage in the short passing game threw plenty of congenitally-pessimistic AU fans into (pardon the pun) a defensive crouch. Grumblings about defensive coordinator Ted Roof picked up where they'd left off on New Year's Day, and even amidst an entirely comfortable victory, plenty were already saying, "Well, maybe next year, with a new DC…"

Folks-and this is directed at those dazzled by the offense as well as those disgusted at the defense-get a grip. It's one game, played against a team Auburn probably spent single-digit hours preparing for. The only time an opening game against an outmanned cupcake means anything is when-whoops-you lose it.

I'll give an example, one that I stress is not anything like a direct comparison, much less a prediction; just an anecdote illustrating the goofiness of getting worked up over the minutiae of a first game against a cupcake. One year not to terribly long ago, I wrapped up a Monday-morning column about a lackluster opening win over one of the traditional have-nots by recalling saying to a friend in the stands as that game ended, "It's a good thing for us that they're awful."

The score in that one was Auburn 31, Louisiana-Monroe 0. The date was September 4, 2004.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions