Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Is The SEC Going To Take A Step Back...

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Is The SEC Going To Take A Step Back...
« on: August 30, 2010, 05:23:05 PM »
in perception, or do we really give a rat's ass.  Our local sports talk guy brought up something that is at least food for thought. Has no bearing on reality but I found it interesting.  If Florida and Bama play in the SECCG again, is the SEC going to be perceived as the same thing we as fans and media have constantly accused other conferences of being? 

Bama hasn't lost a conference game in 2 years. I don't think Florida lost one last year until the SECCG and not sure if they lost one the year before that.  Either way, it's been Bama and UF dominating this conference for 2 straight years.  All indications are, both teams look to be the class of the league again.

The question is how long have we all pointed and laughed at virtually every conference out there as being 1-2 team conferences.  The Big 10 has always been OSU and Michigan (Until recently).  Anyone ever take any other team in that conference seriously on a consistent basis?  Big 12..Texas and Oklahoma and a bunch of middle of the road teams, especially since Nebraska hasn't been relevant in well over a decade. PAC 10..USC with Oregon making a little noise now and then.  The ACC has been very evenly matched in recent years but remember when FSU came in and won like 850 conference games in a row?

Last year, it was Bama in the West followed by a bunch of 9-4..8-5 teams.  No one outside or inside this conference takes LSU serious anymore with a clown for a corch.  In the East, it's been UF just about every single year with UT falling way off, UK and Vandy being...well UK and Vandy. USCe always sux and UGA never ever lives up to half its potential. We always talk about how SEC teams just beat each other up, but that really hasn't been the case, has it?  I know the bottom line is championships and I think we all believe that overall, top to bottom, the SEC is stronger than any conference out there.  However, isn't it time someone else stepped up to the plate and became a consistent player on the national scene?  We may have become, The Big 2. 

Thoughts?   
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 05:26:12 PM by Snaggletiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Re: Is The SEC Going To Take A Step Back...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 06:44:30 PM »
I don't really think so right now but if the trend continues for several more years then yeah I would agree. This league has too much parity and schools willing to push money into their FB programs to let us become like other conferences. It is my belief that the last two years have been like they have is because there are several other teams in transition of "rebuilding". For instance, Auburn and Tennessee will have much to say about what teams go to ATL and Georgia along with LSU may fall short of what they should accomplish, I still think they could match up against any other conferences big dogs. What about head to head match ups in the bowl games? This would be something to look at as well in seeing how well we fair against other conferences.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions