Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Murder In Auburn

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Murder In Auburn
« on: March 05, 2008, 01:14:19 PM »
A girl apparently was murdered last night in Auburn.
She was a Delta Gamma.
That's all I know right now.
We're no AUNation here, but sympathy goes out to her friends & family.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
Re: Murder In Auburn
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 01:17:08 PM »
That's horrible news.  My thoughts will be with her family and with Auburn...when a link becomes available, post it.  We need details.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 02:20:11 PM »
Here's the story w/ link:

Update: Auburn student found shot dead off campus
Posted by Birmingham News March 05, 2008 10:51 AM
An Auburn University student was shot to death late Tuesday near campus, and her car was found in flames on campus minutes later, police said.

Eighteen-year-old Lauren A. Burk, of Marietta, Ga., was found with a single gunshot wound on Alabama Highway 147, and was transported to East Alabama Medical Center where she died.

Auburn police said they received a call about an injured woman at 9:08 p.m., which led them to Burk. Nineteen minutes later they received a call about a car in flames on campus, and found Burk's car fully engulfed. No arrests have been made, and police continue to investigate.

Police said there "is insufficient information to assume any additional danger to others exists," and they have increased police presence on campus. An Auburn University spokeswoman said no emergency measures have been implemented.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2008/03/auburn_student_found_shot_dead.html
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 02:26:56 PM »
She was in her boyfriend's room in Sasnett. She went out to her car to get a book or something and never came back.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 02:45:11 PM »
"Update on student death

Auburn University Students:

Many of you and your parents have called, understandably concerned about a student who was found dead last night a few miles north of campus. City of Auburn Police are investigating. There is no indication of additional danger to campus or student safety. Even so, the Auburn Police Division and Auburn University officials are taking all necessary precautions, including increasing police presence, to ensure the safety of our students and employees. Meanwhile, students should be careful not just on campus, but within the larger community, and be alert at all times.

The following information was just provided by the City of Auburn Police:

On Tuesday, March 4, 2008 at approximately 9:08 p.m., Auburn Police responded to a call of an injured female on Alabama Highway 147 (North College Street). Upon arrival, officers found a female, later identified as 18 year old Lauren A. Burk, an Auburn University student, suffering from a single gunshot wound. Ms. Burk was transported by EMS to the East Alabama Medical Center where she succumbed to her injuries.

At approximately 9:27 p.m., Auburn Police received a call of a vehicle on fire in the Hinton Field parking lot located on Lem Morrison Drive on the Auburn University campus. The vehicle, a 2001 Black Honda Civic, was registered to the victim and was fully involved. Personnel from the Auburn Fire Division responded and extinguished the fire.

The case is under investigation by the Auburn Police Division with assistance from the Department of Forensic Sciences, the Lee County Sheriff's Office, and the Lee County District Attorney's Office. Law Enforcement officials are continuing to follow-up on all leads.

Students acquainted with the victim or others who would like to seek counseling support are encouraged to call the Student Counseling Services, 844-5123, which will see students on a walk-in basis, or by appointment, for group counseling or other sessions.

Please send your thoughts, your prayers, to the family of the victim."

http://ocm.auburn.edu/thisweekatau/archives/080305.html
http://ocm.auburn.edu/news/alerts.html
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 02:46:15 PM »
I'm not in panic mode or anything but I'm more than a little surprised when it appears that a student was abducted, murdered and her car torched....and the University thinks no emergency measures should be taken.  Not that they should lock down the school but at least let everyone know you're picking up the security measures a little.  As if there haven't been any crazy fuckers with guns shooting up students at college campuses lately.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 02:52:05 PM »
It reeks of foul play from one individual, most likely.  Somebody who had a vendetta for whatever reason.  It appears that they have let everyone know about police presence increasing, so that's good...but this doesn't seem like the "crazy dude with a gun" scenario IMO, but you never know.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 02:58:21 PM »
Okay bump, we posted at the same time
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 03:00:53 PM »
My girlfriend thinks she had her in her Auburn Experience class, but hasn't been able to look at a picture yet to be sure.  Her facebook is set to private, but there is a thumbnail of her and I am guessing her boyfriend.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 03:03:13 PM »
Thats screwed up, sympathy to her family and friends. I agree with Steve that they need to do more then just "increased police presence."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 03:17:39 PM »
I understand that there are horrible people in the world, and I am indeed very saddened that this happened, but I am having a difficult time wrapping my head around the fact that someone had enough time to set a car on fire on what is essentially the end of New Row and no one freaking noticed.  Clearly, much more than 'increased police presence' is needed. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 07:13:59 PM by mglKSAU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

BZ770

• BZ770 Is The Most Interesting Person On The X
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 06:35:24 PM »
Has there been any updates on this case.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 09:19:42 PM »
Man arrested in Lauren Burk killing

By STAFF REPORTS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 03/07/08

WSB-TV reported there has been an arrest in connection with Auburn freshman Lauren Burk, of Marietta. The arrest was reportedly made in Phenix City, Ala. after a high-speed chase. WSB did not identify the man who was arrested, but reported that a Phenix City investigator said that the man was found with evidence that could link him to the Burk case.

Phenix City police wouldn't immediately confirm the report.

A Burk family spokeswoman Kathy Singleton said the family had not been notified of an arrest in Phenix City, but had heard the news through media reports Friday evening.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 01:39:20 PM »
http://www.oanow.com/oan/news/local/article/charges_expected_in_burk_case/7622/
Published: March 8, 2008

Courtney Lockhart, 23, of Smiths Station has been charged with capital murder in death of Auburn freshman Lauren Burk, Auburn police said Saturday.

Specifically Lockhart is charged with capital murder during a kidnapping; capital murder during a robbery; and capital murder during an attempted rape, according to a police statement.

Lockhart was arrested in Phenix City Friday after a high-speed chase. According to WRBL News 3, Lockhart admitted to investigators that he committed at least five armed robberies in the area in recent weeks.

In addition, Lockhart is wanted in connection with an attempted carjacking and armed robbery in Newnan, Ga., Friday morning, the Newnan Times-Herald reported today.

He faces charges of armed robbery, aggravated assault, kidnapping, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, the Times-Herald reported.

Friday’s Developments
During an afternoon press conference, Auburn Police Assistant Chief Tommy Dawson ended some of the rumors circulating about the murder case.

“The Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences have told us she was not sexually assaulted,” he said. “I know that’s a rumor that’s been out there, and I want to make that clear. I’ve already made it clear to the family. She was not sexually assaulted.”

A preliminary autopsy report from the Lee County Coroner indicated Burk died as result of a single gunshot wound.

Burk was found lying in the roadway on North College Street between Farmville Baptist Church and U.S. Highway 280 just after 9 p.m. Tuesday night. She was transported to East Alabama Medical Center where she died. At 9:27 p.m., her 2001 black Honda Civic was found on campus, fully engulfed in flames.

In Friday’s press conference, Dawson said the newly established task force had located a gas can in the downtown Auburn area and sent it to the forensics lab for testing. Dawson said that didn’t necessarily mean the gas can was used to set Burk’s car ablaze.

“Anything that can be remotely related to this case, rather than just leaving it and say ‘Well, it may or may not be connected,’ we are going to rule it out. That’s what we are trying to do with the gas can,” he said.

Dawson said he specifically released the information about the gas can Friday because he had heard rumors about it and wanted to stop them.

He also released pictures of a black, 2001 Honda Civic, similar to the one owned and driven by Burk. He encouraged anyone who may have seen a vehicle matching it in the Auburn area Tuesday between 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. to call the task force at 334-501-3140 or the tip line at 334-501-7337.

“No matter how important you think it is or is not, please call us and make us aware of it,” Dawson said.

Dawson did not divulge further details about the investigation, but insisted it is “moving forward.”

“We have an obligation to the citizens of Auburn and the Burk family,” Dawson said. “I know we are being tight-lipped, but I just feel that’s the best way to handle this issue until we have an arrest in this case, and at that time, we’ll get into all the details with you and let you know.”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions