Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

So, The Defense...

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
Re: So, The Defense...
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 02:00:14 PM »
Thankfully there are people on the board that understand a bit about the nuances of football, practice, players, and such.
I understand that the problems they are stating with the defense are the SAME PROBLEMS we had last year.  That is unacceptable.  It has nothing to do with nuances or if it is a scrimmage...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

JR4AU

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 02:06:46 PM »
I understand that the problems they are stating with the defense are the SAME PROBLEMS we had last year.  That is unacceptable.  It has nothing to do with nuances or if it is a scrimmage...

Unacceptable?  To you?  Who died and made you queen?   

And yeah, it has a lot to do with circumstances.

The "problems" last year were, in large part, due to lack of depth, and tired legs.  That happens to best defenses when they get tired.  It also happens to occur in the heat of summer too.  If our 1s, on fresh legs, can't tackle, then I say fire Roof, and in fact, the whole D staff.  Maybe even Chizik...he is afterall, a D guru...do YOU think he doesn't know how to recognize poor fundamentals, and correct something as basic as tackling?  Seriously?  Do you?  Or do you think you might need to quit jumping up and down on the panic button on this, the 18th fucking day of August based on a couple of sound bites after a scrimmage? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 02:18:44 PM »

The "problems" last year were, in large part, due to lack of depth, and tired legs.  That happens to best defenses when they get tired.  It also happens to occur in the heat of summer too.  If our 1s, on fresh legs, can't tackle, then I say fire Roof, and in fact, the whole D staff.  Maybe even Chizik...he is afterall, a D guru...do YOU think he doesn't know how to recognize poor fundamentals, and correct something as basic as tackling?  Seriously?  Do you?  Or do you think you might need to quit jumping up and down on the panic button on this, the 18th fucking day of August based on a couple of sound bites after a scrimmage?

Its like you complete my thoughts JR.

Seriously Taylor, its a scrimmage. It has everything to do with it being a scrimmage and how they are structured. It would be like basing the season off what happened at A Day. I have never seen a direct correlation between vibes off practice and the real season as far as X's and O's. The only time I can remember a practice being a foreshadowing of what was to come was the implosion that was 2008 when fights were breaking out in practice and there was a lack of team atmosphere. Roof has had success at every other stop as a Defensive Coach. His defense was depleted to the core last year. When guys are exhausted, tackling WILL suffer. He has some new guys in there this year to solidify the depth. This will take some time for the D to gel as a whole.

And you may be right - we may STINK on D this year, but at least base it off what happens in games instead of preemptively raising the panic flag.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010, 02:27:55 PM »
By the time we step on the field, practice is over.  These "correctable mistakes" should have been fixed.  If not, we are in big trouble...

I can totally agree with that. I just don't put a whole lot of stock in scrimmages, some but not alot. Like said, we don't have the access to watch and there is some coach speak mixed in with the truth. Historically you will also have the seniors and veteran juniors speaking much the same as the coach. Also like said, the truth will come out when the lights come on and I do think we will be able to get a decent view of the truth, as far as tackling goes, in game numero uno. I think what illuminates this whole deal is how sucky they looked last year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 02:30:58 PM »

Isn't everyone excited about the fact that we will have more depth this year?  This will help, right?  That's what everyone has been saying this whole off season.  If that is the case, and if the same problems are occurring...then what is the fucking problem?

Also, if we wait until 4 games into the season to realize there is a problem, then we are screwed.  Say what you want, but I expect improvement.  Especially since Chizik is a defensive minded coach.  The blame will lie as much with him as it will with Roof if our D sucks ass.  It is unacceptable to me as a fan and alumnus.  You have to expect greatness to have it. 

As I mentioned earlier, I said I was worried.  I didn't say I thought the whole season was in the shitter.  I don't get anywhere close to the ledge until we have lost 3 - 4 games, one of which is to a Kentucky/Vanderbilt/etc...then I just pick up a bottle.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2010, 02:36:58 PM »
I don't get anywhere close to the ledge until we have lost 3 - 4 games, one of which is to a Kentucky/Vanderbilt/etc...then I just pick up a bottle.

If this is the case, I will go in 1/2's with you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2010, 02:39:32 PM »
The tired legs angle only works late in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters IMO.  Much of the bad tackling last season came in the first 15 minutes of the game.

While I am not particularly concerned yet, I will be if we are still hearing the same things late next week.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

JR4AU

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2010, 02:45:32 PM »
Isn't everyone excited about the fact that we will have more depth this year?  This will help, right?  That's what everyone has been saying this whole off season.  If that is the case, and if the same problems are occurring...then what is the fucking problem?

Also, if we wait until 4 games into the season to realize there is a problem, then we are screwed.  Say what you want, but I expect improvement.  Especially since Chizik is a defensive minded coach.  The blame will lie as much with him as it will with Roof if our D sucks ass.  It is unacceptable to me as a fan and alumnus.  You have to expect greatness to have it. 

As I mentioned earlier, I said I was worried.  I didn't say I thought the whole season was in the shitter.  I don't get anywhere close to the ledge until we have lost 3 - 4 games, one of which is to a Kentucky/Vanderbilt/etc...then I just pick up a bottle.

We don't know that the same problems are occurring is my point.  I read what was said.  I saw last year.  In fact, saying "we missed to many tackles" is pretty much standard coach speak this time of year. 

Look, I'm with you...if there's no improvement, a lot in fact, then Roof should be canned, and I'll have to seriously question why Chizik allowed it all to happen.  Worried?  I'm always a little worried, but I'm always guarded about how much stock I put in to what is said about a scrimmage.  You don't see me jumping for joy over the offense lighting the place up either do you?  Same reason.  It's a scrimmage, and as was said initially, the 1s only played about half the time.  Much of what you hear coming from Sr. players and coaches can be attributed to trying to get the attention of other players, younger players, and simply taking responsibility and vowing to correct it.  Sometimes there's just a bad practice or scrimmage.  My 11 and 12 year olds stunk up the joint yesterday!  Like they took a step backwards.  It happens, and it happens at all levels.   And the coaches can design the srimmage to go one way or another, and can also put them out there knowing they're tired and needing a break on purpose. 

Lastly, like GH said, IF we suck again this year...as bad as last, the fire Roof's ass!   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 02:51:53 PM »
The tired legs angle only works late in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters IMO.  Much of the bad tackling last season came in the first 15 minutes of the game.

While I am not particularly concerned yet, I will be if we are still hearing the same things late next week.

Actually, that's not completely true...as I mentioned in a post above...Bammer's D players are not tackling right now...their legs are tired.  They have some issues on D this year with overall experience...these young kids are completely used to Sabans' workouts, and practice regimine.  When you were as thin as we were last year, the work they did in the summer and fall camp was a grind...and I expect that since they considered it rebuilding last year, they didn't worry about tiring them out and saving them for the season.  Saban has a shot again this year, and is trying to save his guy's legs.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2010, 02:57:50 PM »
The offense won 82 - 25...

The defense did score 25 points :super:-   I am happy about that. :moon:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2010, 03:02:45 PM »

Yeah, but they got 10 for lining up their helmets correctly.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2010, 03:04:13 PM »

I'm pretty sure there is a scoring system in place that awards the D for things like sacks, not allowing 3rd down conversions, etc.

Otherwise, you'd be right, that would be awesome news that our O actually scored 82 points, and our defense still found a way to run back 25 points on turnovers (if that were mathematically possible).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2010, 03:25:58 PM »
They gave up 625 skwazillion yards to Northwestern in the last real game they played.  They gave up 85 points yesterday.

Not on the ledge. But just sayin'...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2010, 03:33:18 PM »
Want to know how they gave up 85 points and didn't "Tackle well"?

Go white boy go white boy go

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2010, 03:38:17 PM »
Want to know how they gave up 85 points and didn't "Tackle well"?

Go white boy go white boy go

Shhhhhhhh, that's just a game Snaggle.  You don't put stock into games, you put them into "real" games. C'mon.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2010, 03:38:33 PM »
NO college practices tackling. It is at most thud. Alabama has not done as well. Someone mentioned our defense was lit up and they were. With the score being 80 whatever to 25 it could mean a lot of different things. Did the offense get points for situational success? Did the offense get points for first downs? I mean as an outsider, and face it we are, we do not know. I would not worry one bit about the score. What does worry me was the MLB talking about bad tackling. That is not good but can be fixed. Also I think school just started and your guys might have been tired. I know if a player is tired and he goes to make a tackle he does not bring his ass, legs, head goes down and he does not shoot his arms strong. All those things mentioned will lead to poor tackling.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

JR4AU

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2010, 03:41:16 PM »
Shhhhhhhh, that's just a game Snaggle.  You don't put stock into games, you put them into "real" games. C'mon.

There ya go!  That's the spirit!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2010, 04:01:33 PM »

A game at the end of LAST YEAR'S season with a totally different FB team.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Ogre

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2010, 04:21:57 PM »
I expect our Offense to be one of the top 15-20 in the nation this year.  I honestly think that our Offense will be the best that our Defense sees all year.  I'm hoping they can correct the mistakes they make against our O, and when they line up against an O that's somewhere in the 30-50 range or worse, the D will really show up. 

Sorry if any of that didn't make sense, I started preperation for the golf outing this weekend around noon today.  Viva la Taco Mac!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2010, 04:29:53 PM »
A game at the end of LAST YEAR'S season with a totally different FB team.

Shhh!  It was just another team.  That don't matter!  Don't put any stock in injured players coming back and more depth due to recruiting. 

You know, come to think of it...bammers all said we'd go 5-7 last year, same as we had the year before.  This year, I hear them saying we'll go 7-5...AGAIN.  And of course, they'll win the NC...AGAIN, because they did last year, and nothing changes in college football...we don't have a new QB, and more experience OL, and players back from injury on Def, and they have the same secondary they had last year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions