Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

So, The Defense...

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
So, The Defense...
« on: August 18, 2010, 11:50:40 AM »
absolutely sucked ass in the scrimmage last night.   The offense won 82 - 25...

This has me seriously worried...

"We didn't respond," said linebacker Craig Stevens. "We've got to find a way to pick it up."

Stevens said the first team played about half the time.

"But both defenses were off and on," he said.

"We missed too many tackles,'' said defensive coordinator Ted Roof.

Really!?!?!?  No shit...

Stevens: “We didn’t do too well today. We had a little adversity early. They jumped out on us. We tried to find a way to respond but we just couldn’t get it done.”

Defensive coordinator Ted Roof: “We’ve got to be able to adjust to the tempo of the game and play with the speed of the game because as a defense you don’t dictate that — you dictate how you play. And that’s what we’ve got to concern ourselves with.”

Assistant coach Tracy Rocker made the entire defensive line work some extra conditioning drills after the scrimmage. Based on how sweaty those players were upon exiting Jordan-Hare Stadium, I’d say it was a rigorous session.

Sigh...Thoughts?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: So, The Defense...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 11:58:59 AM »

Really!?!?!?  No shit...

Sigh...Thoughts?
The glass-half-full side of me wants to say that that is awesome news for the offense.

The realist says

What the bloody fuck, D?!?! We will lose a bare minimum of 5 games solely because you assholes can't fucking tackle!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 12:07:18 PM »
The glass-half-full side of me wants to say that that is awesome news for the offense.

The realist says

What the bloody fuck, D?!?! We will lose a bare minimum of 5 games solely because you assholes can't fucking tackle!!!
The worst part about it... 

That was a SENIOR linebacker saying that we are having problems tackling...not a freshman or sophomore...sigh.  Fuck you Ted Roof...do something.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 12:29:42 PM »
I'm not going to totally freak out as of yet. I do think that the offense had something to do with this. Yes, it is the issue with tackling but this is the first report of bad tackling thus far. Now if we're in the game against Ark St and this is an issue, then Houston we have a problem.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 12:34:31 PM »
I'm not going to totally freak out as of yet. I do think that the offense had something to do with this. Yes, it is the issue with tackling but this is the first report of bad tackling thus far. Now if we're in the game against Ark St and this is an issue, then Houston we have a problem.

This
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 12:35:48 PM »
Question:  Do you see any reports of bad tackling coming out of Bama, LSU, Arkansas, Florida, or UGA?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 12:46:26 PM »
Question:  Do you see any reports of bad tackling coming out of Bama, LSU, Arkansas, Florida, or UGA?

Bama's D was lit up in their scrimmage, but I don't know if it was bad tackling or Whoooleo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 01:14:33 PM »

Nope.  Not looking for them either.  Also, I don't think any of them have seen our offense ( version Cam.0).

Come off the ledge.  The defense did well in scrimmage #1.  This was only scrimmage #2.

JMO...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 01:20:03 PM »
Nope.  Not looking for them either.  Also, I don't think any of them have seen our offense ( version Cam.0).

Come off the ledge.  The defense did well in scrimmage #1.  This was only scrimmage #2.

JMO...
This was scrimmage #3, and the offense got the best of the defense during the 2nd scrimmage, but it wasn't this bad. Specifically, Trovon Reed, a freshman.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 01:24:45 PM »

Well, I don't really follow their scrimmages.

Seriously, come down from the ledge Kaos. If this happens every game for a couple of games, then we shall revisit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 01:25:19 PM »

JMO...
Actually Scrimmage #3

I read the article.  Here's the thing we go through this every summer.  Usually the defense wins all the battles and we are saying man our offense is gonna stink.  I have this discussion numerous times with SEC fans and it is circular logic, we won't know until they get out there and play a team.  The question always is? "Is the defense that bad or is the offense that good?", or the opposite "Is the offense that bad and the defense that good?".

As far as Ted Roof goes, again no defending him, however these kids have been playing football for how many years?  Coaches can't make the tackles for them!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 01:28:13 PM »
Well, I don't really follow their scrimmages.

Seriously, come down from the ledge Kaos. If this happens every game for a couple of games, then we shall revisit.
I'm not on a ledge DKW, I'm just saying that if the defense has not improved from last year we will win 6 - 8 games at the most.  That's a fact.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 01:28:53 PM »
Actually Scrimmage #3

I read the article.  Here's the thing we go through this every summer.  Usually the defense wins all the battles and we are saying man our offense is gonna stink.  I have this discussion numerous times with SEC fans and it is circular logic, we won't know until they get out there and play a team.  The question always is? "Is the defense that bad or is the offense that good?", or the opposite "Is the offense that bad and the defense that good?".

As far as Ted Roof goes, again no defending him, however these kids have been playing football for how many years?  Coaches can't make the tackles for them!!

THIS....

Either each will look avg or one is going to dominate the other. In a scrimmage, its hard to have a side that doesn't look bad.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 01:30:08 PM »
Two things...... #1.  I read where Roof said he saw a lot of bad things that all were "correctable".   I could have sworn he said the same thing last year.  If that is the case then please to be correcting teh mistakes.  His seniors and juniors shouldn't have poor tackling technique and taking bad angles.  Can some of that be blamed on the players?  Can it be blamed on the coaches? Now I was the biggest fan of Roof when he was hired, so maybe that is clouding my judgment.

#2.  It was just a scrimmage report, a scrimmage that most folks didn't have access to watch. I hate having to judge this kind of thing.  Did the D look bad b/c the O is just that good, or did the O look good b/c the D is just that bad.  I will wait until we see the product on the field before passing judgment.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 01:33:48 PM »
Two things...... #1.  I read where Roof said he saw a lot of bad things that all were "correctable".   I could have sworn he said the same thing last year.  If that is the case then please to be correcting teh mistakes.  His seniors and juniors shouldn't have poor tackling technique and taking bad angles.  Can some of that be blamed on the players?  Can it be blamed on the coaches? Now I was the biggest fan of Roof when he was hired, so maybe that is clouding my judgment.

#2.  It was just a scrimmage report, a scrimmage that most folks didn't have access to watch. I hate having to judge this kind of thing.  Did the D look bad b/c the O is just that good, or did the O look good b/c the D is just that bad.  I will wait until we see the product on the field before passing judgment.
By the time we step on the field, practice is over.  These "correctable mistakes" should have been fixed.  If not, we are in big trouble...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 01:37:54 PM »

Really!?!?!?  No shit...

Sigh...Thoughts?

Thoughts?  It's a preseason scrimmage...it's largely meaningless.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 01:45:35 PM »
Thoughts?  It's a preseason scrimmage...it's largely meaningless.
Practice makes perfect...

unless we look bad, then it's meaningless.  Check.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 01:46:36 PM »

As a matter of fact, I talked to a friend of mine today...a former bammer player...he says they're barely doing any tackling at all in Tuscaloser...their legs are too tired, and they were sucking wind, so they're not working full speed tackling. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 01:49:11 PM »
Practice makes perfect...

unless we look bad, then it's meaningless.  Check.

Scrimmage stats are meaningless. 

It's not meaningless when they say they're not tackling well...I'll give you that.  And that concerns me some...no worse than last year...most of which I attribute to depth and just running out of gas.  If Auburn can't tackle, then Roof should be fired...but there's lots of reasons things might have gone the way they did, and again, it's a pre-season scrimmage, and it's largely meaningless, especially stats.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 01:57:41 PM »
Actually Scrimmage #3

THIS....

Either each will look avg or one is going to dominate the other. In a scrimmage, its hard to have a side that doesn't look bad.

Thankfully there are people on the board that understand a bit about the nuances of football, practice, players, and such. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions