http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Pre-Season Coaches Poll Released
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 09:50:11 AM »
I still say no poll that figures into the BCS formula should be released until at least week 3 or 4. At this point its a GUESS based on nothing that has happened on the field.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 11:54:46 AM »
I still say no poll that figures into the BCS formula should be released until at least week 3 or 4. At this point its a GUESS based on nothing that has happened on the field.

This.  Because it gives everyone a preconceived notion of how good or bad a team really is. If the top teams don't lose, they don't get bumped.  They can look shitty, but they're not going to be replaced.  Let em' play some games and give the voters a chance to sort it out and guage who looks like a bona fide top team.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 12:04:13 PM »
This.  Because it gives everyone a preconceived notion of how good or bad a team really is. If the top teams don't lose, they don't get bumped.  They can look shitty, but they're not going to be replaced.  Let em' play some games and give the voters a chance to sort it out and guage who looks like a bona fide top team.
Bono fide?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 12:08:35 PM »
Well the 1st part of my predictions were pretty spot on.  Let's hope the second part is just as true

http://www.tigersx.com/forum/index.php?topic=10145.0
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 12:13:29 PM »
Auburn checks in at 23.

SEC Notables:

1. bammer
3. Florida
16. LSU
19. Arkansas
21. Georgia

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm

Hard to argue with that really. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 12:16:07 PM »
A lot of facepalm material.  

Texas, Florida, and Oregon are all replacing their starting quarterbacks.  

Oklahoma hasn't proven to have a reliable starting quarterback.  

Florida State went 7-6 last year and is ushering in the replacement of a top 5 greatest coach of all time.  

I'm not saying they don't have great teams, but the question marks are so large that you can't possibly claim to know exactly how good they're going to be.  These voters, apparently, know so much about each team that they can accurately place each team in a ranking with such precision that the entire season will use this preseason poll as a resource.

Facepalm.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 12:26:06 PM »

Texas, Florida, :blink: and Oregon are all replacing their starting quarterbacks. 

Florida State went 7-6 last year and is ushering in the replacement of a top 5 greatest coach of all time. 

I'm not saying they don't have great teams, but the question marks are so large that you can't possibly claim to know exactly how good they're going to be.  These voters, apparently, know so much about each team that they can accurately place each team in a ranking with such precision that the entire season will use this preseason poll as a resource.

Facepalm.

Florida is replacing pretty much it's entire fucking team let alone the SoG.  I say they struggle this year, but still pull out 9-10 wins.

So basically I agree with you, but even more so.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 12:27:12 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

boartitz

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 12:42:25 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 12:42:51 PM »

Texas, Florida, and Oregon are all replacing their starting quarterbacks.  

I'm not saying they don't have great teams, but the question marks are so large that you can't possibly claim to know exactly how good they're going to be.  These voters, apparently, know so much about each team that they can accurately place each team in a ranking with such precision that the entire season will use this preseason poll as a resource.

Facepalm.
For the most part, I agree. The only team I will speak for is Texas. Gilbert might have played the most important game of his life, as a freshman, out of the blue. He was running scared for the first half, and our defense backed off some in the second half, but the kid played a hell of a game. He could have continued shitting his pants but he got it together and put on a pretty good showing overall. I know judging the next 3 years of his career based off of that one game isn't a smart thing to do, but I can't help but think he will do good things at Texas. Their schedule might help them out some, too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

JR4AU

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 12:44:18 PM »
Florida is replacing pretty much it's entire fucking team let alone the SoG.  I say they struggle this year, but still pull out 9-10 wins.

So basically I agree with you, but even more so.

I think Meyer may surprise with a bit of a different philosophy offensively.  No major change mind you, just more passing, screens, etc.  I think they win the East again and win 11.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 12:52:25 PM »
For the most part, I agree. The only team I will speak for is Texas. Gilbert might have played the most important game of his life, as a freshman, out of the blue. He was running scared for the first half, and our defense backed off some in the second half, but the kid played a hell of a game. He could have continued shitting his pants but he got it together and put on a pretty good showing overall. I know judging the next 3 years of his career based off of that one game isn't a smart thing to do, but I can't help but think he will do good things at Texas. Their schedule might help them out some, too.

I'm sure he'll do great things.  Much like Vince Young who required two years to learn.  And Colt McCoy who had a tumultuous freshmen season along with a subpar sophomore season before really setting the world on fire. 

But to say Texas is definitely - most assuredly - the #4 team in the country right now is asinine.  There's no way to tell.  The question marks prove it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 12:53:19 PM »
I think Meyer may surprise with a bit of a different philosophy offensively.  No major change mind you, just more passing, screens, etc.  I think they win the East again and win 11.  

I agree on the winning of the East, but that is also because, I don't see anyone else doing so.  
UGA?  I dont see it... mediocre will be battling with USCe for 2nd place
UT? They are fucked for this year again
USCe? They probably have their best team in years, they will find a way to lose games.
UK? Won't happen.
Vandy? Not for another 25 years.

I think the West will be a force to be reckoned with.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

RWS

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 12:58:49 PM »
I'm sure he'll do great things.  Much like Vince Young who required two years to learn.  And Colt McCoy who had a tumultuous freshmen season along with a subpar sophomore season before really setting the world on fire. 

But to say Texas is definitely - most assuredly - the #4 team in the country right now is asinine.  There's no way to tell.  The question marks prove it.
For that matter, you can say that about every team. Alabama is replacing 9 out of 11 defensive starters, and will have a brand new secondary. But, one thing I do feel confident in is if we are deep in talent somewhere, it is on defense. Really, I feel as if that's a big enough question mark that we probably shouldn't be ranked #1; even with the confidence I have in the talent.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 01:15:30 PM »
For that matter, you can say that about every team. Alabama is replacing 9 out of 11 defensive starters, and will have a brand new secondary. But, one thing I do feel confident in is if we are deep in talent somewhere, it is on defense. Really, I feel as if that's a big enough question mark that we probably shouldn't be ranked #1; even with the confidence I have in the talent.

Personally I don't think you guys repeat (MNC).  However the road to the SEC Championship game runs through Tuscalooser and who ever is the representative from the West will win the Championship.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

JR4AU

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 01:21:36 PM »
I agree on the winning of the East, but that is also because, I don't see anyone else doing so.  
UGA?  I dont see it... mediocre will be battling with USCe for 2nd place
UT? They are fucked for this year again
USCe? They probably have their best team in years, they will find a way to lose games.
UK? Won't happen.
Vandy? Not for another 25 years.

I think the West will be a force to be reckoned with.

Pretty much agree, just think Meyer will have a better team than many think...JMHO.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 01:33:38 PM »

I do say that about every team. It's the main reason why these polls are ridiculous! 

You're right.  Alabama shouldn't be ranked #1.  Ohio State shouldn't be ranked #2. 

No one has a clue.  Too many question marks.  Especially with the facepalm-worthy selections.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 01:42:19 PM »
I do say that about every team. It's the main reason why these polls are ridiculous! 

You're right.  Alabama shouldn't be ranked #1.  Ohio State shouldn't be ranked #2. 

No one has a clue.  Too many question marks.  Especially with the facepalm-worthy selections.

In a pre-season poll, the defending champ has every right to be ranked #1...for whatever it's worth.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 01:47:24 PM »
In a pre-season poll, the defending champ has every right to be ranked #1...for whatever it's worth.
I agree and disagree. For example, Alabama's 2009 team proved alot. If the entire team was coming back, or like 99% of it, then sure. But in our case, we're damn near replacing one entire side of the ball. Don't get me wrong, if they end up playing like last year, I'll be fucking ecstatic. But the chances are unlikely. Teams can change night and day from one year to the next, good or bad. Look at Alabama 2007, then look at 2008. It can happen that quickly one way or another.

Pre-season polls are good fodder to keep us occupied I suppose, but I don't see where you can put any actual stock in them. Which is where I suppose the "for whatever it's worth" comes into play.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 01:55:29 PM »
Like I said, I'm in the camp of waiting until some games are played to see where teams are. However, since you have the preseason polls, I think this one is pretty fair.  If not Alabama and OSU and Florida and UT etc...then who?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."