Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Brent Calloway has committed to Auburn!!!

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: Brent Calloway has committed to Auburn!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 11:18:16 PM »
Jones originally planned on greyshirting, and even said in an interview that he was well aware that he might still have to give up his spot even after he moved in. So, it's not like it just came out of left field. Oh, but it was a HUGE deal to some AU fans, and was made out to be way more than it was.
Bullshit!!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 12:06:14 AM »
what about Petey Smith too?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 09:45:22 AM »
So, enlighten me.  We know for a fact that our class is already full, despite not having the # of public verbal commits to make it so?  We're so sure that we can screw around with a guy the caliber of Kriss Kross? 

I'm just axing because I thought the All-Star games are where all the big names have their shining moments to make their choices known.  What are these other 10 or so commits waiting for?  Are they bigger names than Kriss Kross or the ones we have now?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 10:28:31 AM »
So, enlighten me.  We know for a fact that our class is already full, despite not having the # of public verbal commits to make it so?  We're so sure that we can screw around with a guy the caliber of Kriss Kross? 

I'm just axing because I thought the All-Star games are where all the big names have their shining moments to make their choices known.  What are these other 10 or so commits waiting for?  Are they bigger names than Kriss Kross or the ones we have now?

I think the main thing...and this is just speculation on my part...is that Frost possibly let the coaches know that he was going to Michigan, and so the coaches moved on. Now, he says he wants to go to Auburn and they can't take him yet. Who knows, maybe Frost's slot got filled by Calloway.

I read where maybe we will except him, but say now that we have our offensive slots filled up and that we can only except him if he comes in at defense.

I am torn here. Frost looks like a hell of a player, but I also think it is a good move by the staff to not let the kids start dictating to them what is happening.

Of all things, this puts me firmly in the camp that we get some kids like Drew and Westerman...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 10:39:11 AM »
I read where maybe we will except him, but say now that we have our offensive slots filled up and that we can only except him if he comes in at defense.

From what I have read, this is the deal. From the comments that Frost made at the Army All-American game, the knows this too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 10:42:40 AM »

I meant accept...not except. Oops...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 11:51:19 AM »
I understand recruiting to needs.  That's obvious and must be the priority in any class.  I just don't want to see a great athlete get away because we may or may not have our allotment at a certain position.  No one knows how any of these kids will turn out on this level.  Opinions from you gurus:

Is it better to go after as many "athletes" as possible and turn them into where they fit best?  I recall that was a big thing under Stallings.  Getting that 215-220 athlete that could play safety or linebacker or grow into a DE.  We certainly did that with Dansby who came to Auburn as a 205 pound receiver. 

Also, how much do you think our staff gets in to being specific about where they project a guy to play?  I think with Calloway, it's obvious that stuff goes on in order to get a great recruit.  I know these kids see themselves in a certain position and shop themselves around to schools that agree with them and will give them a shot there.

On the flip side of the coin, I recall a local player years ago who wound up at Alabama playing DB.  Hershel Bolden played QB at Dothan High and honestly was one of the last really great athletes to come out of this area.  I was going to virtually all their home games around here and twice, I saw this kid rush for over 200 yards from the QB position....in one half.  The thing was, he NEVER set foot on the field playing defense in any capacity.  Yet, when he got to Bama, he was automatically a defensive back.  It didn't work out well.  He made Neiko Torched look like Lester Hayes. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 01:16:03 PM »
I understand recruiting to needs.  That's obvious and must be the priority in any class.  I just don't want to see a great athlete get away because we may or may not have our allotment at a certain position.  No one knows how any of these kids will turn out on this level.  Opinions from you gurus:

Is it better to go after as many "athletes" as possible and turn them into where they fit best?  I recall that was a big thing under Stallings.  Getting that 215-220 athlete that could play safety or linebacker or grow into a DE.  We certainly did that with Dansby who came to Auburn as a 205 pound receiver. 

Also, how much do you think our staff gets in to being specific about where they project a guy to play?  I think with Calloway, it's obvious that stuff goes on in order to get a great recruit.  I know these kids see themselves in a certain position and shop themselves around to schools that agree with them and will give them a shot there.

On the flip side of the coin, I recall a local player years ago who wound up at Alabama playing DB.  Hershel Bolden played QB at Dothan High and honestly was one of the last really great athletes to come out of this area.  I was going to virtually all their home games around here and twice, I saw this kid rush for over 200 yards from the QB position....in one half.  The thing was, he NEVER set foot on the field playing defense in any capacity.  Yet, when he got to Bama, he was automatically a defensive back.  It didn't work out well.  He made Neiko Torched look like Lester Hayes.

Quite honestly, I think that you are reading too much into it. I think Frost will ultimately be a tiger, I just think that Chizik wants to make a point. I have nothing to base this on other than my gut feeling though. I haven't watched Frost play much, but he passes the "eye" test for me. I think he could be a pretty good player, but maybe Chizik doesn't want to let him come in thinking he is coming in on his terms...especially if Auburn may have been "second" choice...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2011, 01:27:26 PM »
Quite honestly, I think that you are reading too much into it. I think Frost will ultimately be a tiger, I just think that Chizik wants to make a point. I have nothing to base this on other than my gut feeling though. I haven't watched Frost play much, but he passes the "eye" test for me. I think he could be a pretty good player, but maybe Chizik doesn't want to let him come in thinking he is coming in on his terms...especially if Auburn may have been "second" choice...

Weren't we Calloway's second choice and didn't he commit on his terms to an extent?  Again, just axing because I'm wondering if there's different rules for different kids.  And we stay on kids (Like Calloway) even though they've already made their choice publically.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 01:30:18 PM »
Weren't we Calloway's second choice and didn't he commit on his terms to an extent?  Again, just axing because I'm wondering if there's different rules for different kids.  And we stay on kids (Like Calloway) even though they've already made their choice publically.

I hear you...You got me. No clue. Would you rather pull the scholly from a lesser of a recruit? Not sure what to tell you other than I think these coaches have a pretty good grasp of what's going on.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2011, 01:54:20 PM »
I hear you...You got me. No clue. Would you rather pull the scholly from a lesser of a recruit? Not sure what to tell you other than I think these coaches have a pretty good grasp of what's going on.

I'm sure they have it all under control and I'm not worrying or anything.  I just like to get a better grasp on what really goes on in recruiting.  I hear all the time how we have a "silent" commit from these kids or those or like in this case, that our class is already full...despite only 16-17 verbals.  I always wonder who knows this stuff and/or who leaks out that this kid or that is a silent commit etc.  Is Coach Lupe secretly texting some "Insider" saying..."Don't tell nobody but Cleophus Babies is committed to us."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2011, 02:39:27 PM »
I'm sure they have it all under control and I'm not worrying or anything.  I just like to get a better grasp on what really goes on in recruiting.  I hear all the time how we have a "silent" commit from these kids or those or like in this case, that our class is already full...despite only 16-17 verbals.  I always wonder who knows this stuff and/or who leaks out that this kid or that is a silent commit etc.  Is Coach Lupe secretly texting some "Insider" saying..."Don't tell nobody but Cleophus Babies is committed to us."

I would think that the coaches have a pretty good idea and then certain "insiders" have info. If they didn't, I wouldn't see how these "insiders" would put their reputation on the line with insane percentages such as 95% certain to Auburn. Auburn can sign 28, but can only bring in 25. With 17 commitments without Frost, that only leaves 8 spots left to get players in. Wright, Florence, Sigler, Robinson, Mason and Fulse being solid (meaning 80% or better from J. Lee) means to me that the coaches like 2 others big time not to have room. I would guess that Ray Drew, and Westerman would be the ones to fill out the class. Now add Frost, and you don't have room for Drew or Westerman. Hell I don't know. It seems like a good problem to have though...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 02:51:46 PM »
Werd.  One hell of a problem to have.  This class and the posibilities are begining to make me moist.  I think we've already addressed several of those needs and even though it may not be the "sexy" position, this DB class could be setting this team up for several years to come.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Six

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2011, 05:12:01 PM »
Steve,

It's 17 and 18 year olds kids.  Recruiting is an art, not a science...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 02:27:30 AM »
This staff had made believers of me with the way they recruit.  I didn't expect to be#24 into the top 10 is great.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan