No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

Re: A Kick In The Nutts
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2010, 04:35:25 PM »
From Stewart Mandel-

Your Houston Nutt article is an outrage! Who are you, Mr. Stewart Mandel, to call a fine coach trying to help someone dirty or question his integrity? You should be fired!! I think you, sir, are a big A$$!!
-- Steve, North Mississippi

After reading your latest article on Houston Nutt, I only have one thing to say: Thank you so much for publishing that article. I honestly can't thank you enough for exposing this man for who he truly is.
-- James, Little Rock, Ark.

I knew the Nutt column would elicit some strong reactions, but I had no idea they would split so diametrically between the states of Mississippi and Arkansas. I literally received hundreds of e-mails just like these two. It's no surprise Ole Miss fans so vociferously defended their coach (though I have no doubt the same exact people would have crucified Dan Mullen if by chance Mississippi State had taking Masoli instead), but apparently Nutt is about as popular in Arkansas as Kiffin is in Tennessee.

But the point of the column was not to rile up those two fan bases. Let me address a less partisan e-mail.

Stewart, your writing is usually spot-on in regards to the ever-wavering ethics of college football, but your criticism of Houston Nutt's acceptance of Masoli is uncharacteristically harsh to the point of seeming almost personal. I'm not saying that you're wrong about Nutt, just that you seem to have lost your perspective as a journalist on this one. What gives?
-- James, Edmond, Okla.

I don't dispute that the column was harsh, but it wasn't without reason.

My hope with the Nutt-Masoli piece was that readers might take a moment to rethink what truly constitutes "dirty" in this day and age. It's been an eventful off-season for scandal-related headlines, and as I wrote in the lead, I've noticed fans throwing around the d-word with reckless abandon, demonizing coaches and programs based mostly on blanket assumptions and innuendo. Listening to some of the revisionist history out there about Pete Carroll's USC tenure, you'd think he was handing Reggie Bush money out of his own wallet, which couldn't be further from the truth. If you're going to accuse someone of being "dirty," it really ought to be for something of his own doing.

Admittedly, Nutt has broken no rules, and if that's your sole criteria for judging a coach's ethics, then you're obviously going to disagree with the column. But as I wrote, Nutt has demonstrated a repeated pattern over the past several years of shameless win-at-any-cost tactics. Taking on Masoli just happens to be his most brazenly transparent. No one's buying the cover that this has anything to do with "helping" a wayward kid. As Nutt himself told the Memphis Commercial Appeal: "I could have not gone after him, gone 6-6 this season and got ready to reload [for 2011]. But when you think about your team, you have an obligation to them to do everything you can to put them in the best situation to win."

Sadly, this has become the standard operating mentality for a lot of coaches, and I happen to find it more troublesome than many of the things others might consider "dirty," but unfortunately, a lot of fans now tacitly accept it.

I am an Ole Miss fan, and if taking Masoli helps us win more games, so be it. This is what college football has become. Get over it.
-- David Davis, Taylorsville, Miss.

Case in point.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/08/04/next-generation/#ixzz0vfh3J1E6
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2010, 04:32:29 PM »
Well. If Old Mrs. wins a lot of games this season, the Ole Nutsy will be vindicated.

Unless his QB gets arrested before the new year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2010, 04:44:53 PM »
Sometimes corches just have to weigh the possible backlash against the probable reward when it comes to signing a "troubled" athlete. Your multi-million dollar job is based almost solely on wins and losses so in analyzing the risk/reward, you'll almost always choose the latter.  I have no problem with second or third chances as long as the "crime" is not of a violent nature.  If a college kid smokes a little weed, like probably 50% or more of his fellow college students...what the hell.  Give him his punishment under the law, suspend him and run him til he pukes.  Then put him on a short leash.  If he screws up again, then maybe another setting, another program is better suited for him.

I have no idea about Nuttybars past in these matters.  Some of you on the board know far more about it.  Bottom line, I hate to see this kid come in and make an average team a really dangerous team.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2010, 05:10:10 PM »

I have no idea about Nuttybars past in these matters.  Some of you on the board know far more about it.  Bottom line, I hate to see this kid come in and make an average team a really dangerous team.

I wouldn't worry too much about Masoli.  His non-conf numbers were pretty awful.  SEC defenses will eat him alive.

The funniest part of all of this is that Nutt said he could have refused to take Masoli and gone 6-6, or he could do right by his players and try to put them in a position to win.

My questions are:
1) What does that statement do to the psyches of Stanley and the other QB?
2) Why, after 3 recruiting classes, is Nutt so short on QBs?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

JR4AU

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2010, 05:13:02 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about Masoli.  His non-conf numbers were pretty awful.  SEC defenses will eat him alive.

Betting man are ya?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2010, 05:19:15 PM »
Betting man are ya?

I yam.

Whatcha got?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2010, 05:20:49 PM »
I yam.

Whatcha got?

Gotta have something to bet on...the general "SEC Defenses will eat him alive" is a bit subjective.  I'm up for a handle of your fave spirit though...does Bartles and James come in a handle size? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2010, 05:24:24 PM »
Gotta have something to bet on...the general "SEC Defenses will eat him alive" is a bit subjective.  I'm up for a handle of your fave spirit though...does Bartles and James come in a handle size? 

You know not of which you speak.  This man knows the ways of the spirits.

Masoli
5'11 220

2009 Stats 177-305 2147 yds 15 TD's 6 Int.  121 Rushes for 668 yds 5.5 avg. 13TDs.

Doesn't overwhelm you but you can't argue his numbers don't look pretty solid.  I'd love to have that coming back at the QB position.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2010, 05:44:27 PM »
You know not of which you speak.  This man knows the ways of the spirits.

Masoli
5'11 220

2009 Stats 177-305 2147 yds 15 TD's 6 Int.  121 Rushes for 668 yds 5.5 avg. 13TDs.

Doesn't overwhelm you but you can't argue his numbers don't look pretty solid.  I'd love to have that coming back at the QB position.

He faced two non-Pac 10, BCS teams last year: Purdue and Ohio St.

His stats:

Purdue: 11/21 163 0/0; 14/84 1TD
Ohio St: 9/20 81 0/1; 6/9 1TD

Big 10 defense is the most comparable to SEC that Masoli has faced...and he was very unimpressive.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2010, 06:46:26 PM »
He faced two non-Pac 10, BCS teams last year: Purdue and Ohio St.

His stats:

Purdue: 11/21 163 0/0; 14/84 1TD
Ohio St: 9/20 81 0/1; 6/9 1TD

Big 10 defense is the most comparable to SEC that Masoli has faced...and he was very unimpressive.

USCs defense was chopped liver eh?

Soooooo.....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2010, 06:54:14 PM »
i will be more interested in masoli's ability to adjust to the humid, hot south.  did he condition himself during the past few months?  that i don't know.  perhaps it's not a factor.

pac 10 wasn't that impressive last season either.  

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2010, 07:25:48 PM »
i will be more interested in masoli's ability to adjust to the humid, hot south.  did he condition himself during the past few months?  that i don't know.  perhaps it's not a factor.

pac 10 wasn't that impressive last season either.  

Reckon he'll steal an air conditioner right off the bat?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2010, 11:24:00 PM »
USCs defense was chopped liver eh?

Soooooo.....

USC's 2009 defensive rankings:
Total defense: 40th (7 SEC teams ranked higher)
Rush defense: 39th (3 SEC teams ranked higher)
Pass defense: 48th (8 SEC teams ranked higher)
Scoring defense: 22nd (4 SEC teams ranked higher)

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/ncaa-m-footbl-stats-index.html

Not chopped liver, but not appreciably better than what he'll see day in and day out in the SEC.

EDIT NOTE: For the sake of completeness, I thought I should include Masoli's stats in the 2009 UO/USC game:

19/31 222 1/0; 13/164 1TD

This represented his season-high rushing yardage.  His next best rushing performance was against Purdue (84 yds).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 11:33:26 PM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2010, 11:32:32 PM »
Gotta have something to bet on...the general "SEC Defenses will eat him alive" is a bit subjective. 

Completely agree.  My "Whatcha got?" was inclusive of conditions and stakes.  We can go any number of ways and I'm open to suggestions.

I'm up for a handle of your fave spirit though...does Bartles and James come in a handle size? 

B&J was almost a perfect union...damn that ampersand.  Handle (or equivalent volume) of Bombay Sapphire will do nicely.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2010, 08:09:12 AM »
How about this one for the Masoli fan?
Auburn's transfer QB will have better numbers than Ole Miss's Heisman contender transfer QB.
Just a suggestion.
I already have my bets in with Jumbo and Birmingham(if he comes back)for the year.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 08:10:24 AM by boartitz »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2010, 08:13:08 AM »
How about this one for the Masoli fan?
Auburn's transfer QB will have better numbers than Ole Miss's Heisman contender transfer QB.
Just a suggestion.
I already have my bets in with Jumbo and Birmingham(if he comes back)for the year.

I'm confused.  Who are you saying will have better numbers?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

boartitz

« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2010, 08:38:54 AM »
I'm confused.  Who are you saying will have better numbers?
Neither one. Just a suggestion for betting purposes. Masoli vs Newton.
Both are transfers. The one with the Heisman mention is under the tutelage of the Killa, the one with no mention of Heisman in his resume is under Gus's wing.
I think it will be interesting to see how they measure up once the season's stats are in on them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2010, 09:43:36 AM »
From a talent standpoint, Masoli is an upgrade for Ole Mrs. They now have a chance where before they had none. And an SEC defense on HIS side could give hem a chance to do just enough to win...even without the "numbers". I am more nervous now about playing them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.